Bulbs and squirrels

We crafters enjoy a bit of gardening...so anything to do with the garden goes here!
Carolyn
The Boss

Bulbs and squirrels

Postby Carolyn » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:14 pm

I saw on Gardeners World this week that you should soak your bulbs in tonic water before planting, as squirrels don't like the smell of quinine. Sadly I have already planted mine - and I bet he digs them up :evil:

Nicola H

Re: Bulbs and squirrels

Postby Nicola H » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:35 pm

Is tonic water that fizzy water stuff that tastes funny? That sounds weird for bulbs.... but if it works!!

Ron bought me a bag of 70 daffodil bulbs last week, should I be planting them out soon or in Spring? We don't normally have that kind of bulb here, so I don't know what to do with them.
Do you plant them in clusters, or all together? Do they multiply over time or you just get one flower per bulb for life??

Kath

Postby Kath » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:57 pm

They bloom in the spring , Nicola, so you need to plant them any time now.They will naturalise if you don't disturb them and then they will multiply..Plant them in groups...about 5 to a group. I don't know about your climate however.I should think if your ground freezes you would be better planting sooner rather than later.Have you seen daffodils growing in your area?

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:43 pm

mine are in, they can be planted in the next month or so - or like Kath says before your frosts start.

I normally dig a hole and put 5 in as well. If you have soil that could water log you can chuck some sand or grit or something for a bit of drainage. But I think daffs are the most tolerant of conditions.

When some start poking through the soil - if you want to have a play = a friend of mine used to put 2ltr bottles with the bottom cut off over them as a mini cloche and they will flower earlier :)

The squirrels have always uprooted crocus and left daffs, I have put some crocus in but got them from Poundland - refuse to pay garden centre prices to feed the squirrel!

Zug Stitcher

Postby Zug Stitcher » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:11 am

I think it was squirrels that wiped out our entire snowdrop crop one year - we have hundreds one spring, then the next not a single one! If it wasn't squirrels, it was the dog!

Crocuses seem to ahve gone the same way - but daffs pop up year after year and are defintely multiplying.

I thought tuplis wer perennials too - but some are defintely not!

Off to the garden centre today me thinks :-)

N. xxx
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance”. Socrates

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:17 am

Bulbs should come up every year but I think they can rot, or just not reproduce new bulbs.

Crafty Barbie

Postby Crafty Barbie » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:25 pm

We seem to get less and less flowers from our daffodils and tulips every year. They grow lots of leaves but very few flowers. I am always buying more.
BARBARA

Kath

Postby Kath » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:04 pm

I have just read that you will get a lot of leaves and few flowers if you feed bulbs? Apparently they have all they need for nourishment in the bulb. I knew they had enough food in the bulb, but not about the growing more leaves and few flowers .

Return to “Gardening”