Fence Panels

We crafters enjoy a bit of gardening...so anything to do with the garden goes here!
craftyprincess

Fence Panels

Postby craftyprincess » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:55 am

dh and I are soon to be launching Operation Fence Panels. Our current fencing is in a right old state and they have just taken such a battering in the last few months that we have decided to replace them, all 20 odd of them :lol:

We had a couple of quotes for someone to erect them for us and were somewhat taken aback :o (seriously. i'd have felt like we'd been mugged if we had to part with that kind of cash). So we've decided to do it ourselves and I was just wondering if anybody had any advice or tips as I feel we might need all the help we can get :lol:
xx Sara xx

DingleDel

Re: Fence Panels

Postby DingleDel » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Sorry, no advice!!! We really need ours done but simply cannot afford it. Next door's garden drops away from ours and we really want to get it done properly with concrete posts and gravel boards but the cost of materials alone is out of our economic reach this year.

Good luck! :lol:
Adele.

http://www.dillydallydingle.blogspot.com
http://www.pinterest.com/dingledel/

Stampin Up! Demonstrator for Medway, Kent and wherever life takes me!

Leggies

Postby Leggies » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:31 pm

Sorry no help here either - we have hedges! LOL

The only fencing we have is at the bottom of the garden & hubby made it from old pallets (we couldn't afford new fencing but needed it!) The advantage is that there is a path along the bottom of our garden which is well used & occasionally people who haven't been taught any better kick out a panel or two - easy & cheap to replace ......

Calv

Postby Calv » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:34 pm

Hi Sara :)

I've never done it myself, but if you look around the web there are a few good step by step tutorials.

Heres an example, with pics which seems good. This is for a panel fence...

http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/how-to-erect-a-fence

If thats no good, try a DIY forum where you can ask specific questions.

Hope that helps,

Calv.

Nicola H

Postby Nicola H » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:13 pm

The quality of the posts you install is the most important factor. Are you planning on staying in your home a long time? If so, then concrete posts set in the ground would be best. Mum had these installed 30 years ago, and whenever an individual fence panel collapses from rot or is burnt by kids, a neighbour goes out to buy her a new pence panel, pops out the old one and slides in a new one. It has saved a lot on maintenance and labour over the years, but the initial cost is higher.

It would be interesting to install these yourself! I don't have any experience, but from what I've seen on TV shows, you have to dig a deep hole (whatever the law requires in your area) for each with one of those hole-digger things that 2 people rotate around, then fill it with quick-set concrete around the post. Ohhh, fun! Doing all the levelling and straightening for 20 posts and getting them exactly the same space apart :o :lol:

We had a fence built across the back of our garden last Fall, and the guy used 2 foot spikes that he hammered into the ground, and they held the wooden fence posts in place, and he built all the fence from scratch. That's the way I'd do it, because then if you're slightly off with a post, you can make up when you're cutting all the wood and nailing it all together. Whereas with panels, you have to get the posts exactly right.

Let us know what you decide and how the project turns out :couch:

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:51 pm

we had to dig out a fence post last year and it nearly killed us! You need to dig a good size hole. Def need to get it nice and upright - so spirit level.

We have had a couple of posts replaced recently and they cost about

Kath

Postby Kath » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:18 pm

We have concrete posts which my husband put in more than 30 years ago. We buy panels as needed and they just slot in.

When he was digging the holes we had a hole borer and one morning when he went out and looked in one of the holes there was a hedgehog with a young one which was obviously getting ready to hibrnate...a load of leaves had been pulled on top of them! We had a job to lift them out! Eventually the lad next door managed as his arms were longer! :lol:

annmarie

Postby annmarie » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:05 pm

I'm glad you didn't end up squashing the hedgehog! Useful creatures; they eat slugs :lol: :lol: :lol:
He that never knew sorrow of love never knew joy of it either

Medieval German

Blog at: http://www.anntiqueantics.blogspot.com/

Melis

Postby Melis » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:06 pm

My advice is if you are using post crete have everything ready including the spirit level. You don't get any faff time with post crete. One minute it is runny the next completely solid. :o

Melis

Return to “Gardening”