drilling holes in ceramic type pots

We crafters enjoy a bit of gardening...so anything to do with the garden goes here!
Carolyn
The Boss

drilling holes in ceramic type pots

Postby Carolyn » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:47 am

I acquired some pots and have also seen a lovely rectangle one in poundland that would be great to put plants in to sell - but they don't have drainage holes.

Has anyone tried drilling holes on pots like this - or will they just shatter

I have seen this drill bit on ebay -and am tempted with having a go:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6MM-DIAMOND-HOLES ... 640wt_1139

Kath

Re: drilling holes in ceramic type pots

Postby Kath » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:34 am

I haven't tried but for that price it is worth having a go. You could always put your plants in a plant pot and then in the other pots.

bookworm

Postby bookworm » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:36 am

A tip I read in a DIY book regarding drilling on ceramic tiles suggested putting a cross of masking tape where you want to drill a hole and just start off slowly.
It may work for your pots too.
Sheila

My Gallery
My Blog
***Shop at Carolyn's***

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:43 am

bookworm wrote:A tip I read in a DIY book regarding drilling on ceramic tiles suggested putting a cross of masking tape where you want to drill a hole and just start off slowly.
It may work for your pots too.
That has jogged my memory too - thanks Sheila

Like you say Kath at that price I ought to give it a go. I had 3 nice ones that I decided to put well established summer bedding in them and told the people buying them not to over water, but would have been happier with holes! They were all bulbous shape so pots wouldn't go in them.

We are going to do a leaflet drop in Owen's paper round next week - to see if anyone has anything they don't want.

Calv

Postby Calv » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:04 pm

Yep the tape trick has worked for me and ceramic pots in the past.

Watch this 2 min vid Carolyn, shows you how. Just remember to take it easy with the drill at first and as the vid says, don't put the drill on hammer (as you would for a solid wall) or the pot will break. If you do it gently, theres less chance of the pot breaking. That said, i have broken some pots like this before.....then again i'm not always that gentle with tools. :-?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5zzLQWPHpg

Depending on your drill, it may have a variable speed, so you can drill gently by pressing lighter on the trigger.

Calv.

cazat81

Postby cazat81 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:41 pm

As others have said, The trick is to take it slowly, have a friend who makes up beautiful cake stands using odd (as in not matching) ceramic plates, she found that taking it very slowly and using tape was the best way forward. I remember she found it scary at 1st but after a few times confidence grows. I am sure there will be times when things don't quite work and a pot will break, but it could be that there is a weakness that you cannot see with naked eye. Maybe best to practice first :??:
Carole

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:31 pm

thanks for all of this - I have seen cake stands drilled - penny hadn't dropped that they will do it that way.

If I get anymore I will get the drill bit. My drill has variable speed - no hammer - so I should be OK.

cazat81

Postby cazat81 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:48 am

Also If I remember rightly from my friend she said the drill bit gets very hot as does the area your drilling. I think it might only apply to when your drilling into porcelein, I remember her saying she had to Pour water over as she went around the area she was drilling, I think she wet the drill bit before she started to drill, again applies to porcelin only I think. Remember to wear goggles in case any bits fly near to your face/eyes - they may well be hot as well as sharp. And lastly, the drill bit when your done drilling will be hot so take care.
Carole

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:30 am

thanks Carole - will make sure I am careful.

annmarie

Postby annmarie » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:04 pm

You can put a layer of stones in the bottom so that the water has somewhere to go below the roots (possibly use a bigger pot to allow for the stones?). I think my mum used to do that if she had to put a plant in a pot that hadn't got any holes.
He that never knew sorrow of love never knew joy of it either

Medieval German

Blog at: http://www.anntiqueantics.blogspot.com/

Return to “Gardening”