So, how does your garden grow?

We crafters enjoy a bit of gardening...so anything to do with the garden goes here!
DingleDel

So, how does your garden grow?

Postby DingleDel » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:39 pm

Having been at home with flu for the last few days, I have sat looking out at the garden and occasionally pottered around it...not to actually do anything but just looking! :oops: LOL

We renewed our fencing last year and relaid most of the borders, almost from scratch. It's been lovely to see all the new signs of life. The hydrangea (which we have had for years in a pot) we put in the top border is coming to life, as is the lilac. The saxifrage (I think that's what it is) is blooming, the hebes, and box trees are looking lush and healthy, the contorted hazel has load of little dangles......yet my forsythia has only a few yellow shoots starting to show. It's usually one of the first to spring to life.

I am still hoping that our hardy fushia and what was a huge pheasant shrub hasn't been killed off!

So, what's happening in your garden?
Adele.

http://www.dillydallydingle.blogspot.com
http://www.pinterest.com/dingledel/

Stampin Up! Demonstrator for Medway, Kent and wherever life takes me!

Kath

Re: So, how does your garden grow?

Postby Kath » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:44 pm

Stephen has the raised beds almost ready for the veg seeds. In the other beds we have Daffodils, tulips, hyacinths and chinadoxia blooming beautifully. In the greenhouse the peach tree and the apricot tree are also blooming and are lovely, Still too cold to put them outside I think.I have planted tomato seeds, sweet corn, dwarf beans and cucumber so far. Some more seeds might be planted tomorrow if it is a bit warmer than today! Even in the greenhouse it wasn't very warm today.

DingleDel

Postby DingleDel » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:55 pm

Never grown anything like tomatoes from seed before, never been that organised. :bow

Not sure how all the daffs and bluebells will have survived the upheave last year, I've never really planted any out before but think I might have to do so ready so NEXT year.
Adele.

Kath

Postby Kath » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:40 pm

I have always grown tomatoes from seed since I bought a greenhouse...many years ago now. My favourite tomatoes were Grenadier but unfortunately they took those off the market for some reason. Since then I have tried various sorts but I think we like the Sungold larger variety the best of the recent ones we have tried.If you bought 2 packets of Thompson and Morgan seeds at our garden centre you got a packet of tomato seeds free so I shall plant those as well and see what they are like. There was also a trial packet of F1 tomatoes for

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:22 pm

I have some violets - which I love and will have to split them up and plant more. like these:

lovely little daffs too. Nothing much else - but loads springing to life. It looks like a few of Owen's cuttings have not made it :)

Charliecat

Postby Charliecat » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:30 pm

I have mostly daffodils and tadpoles growing in my garden at the moment! I have had to take some frog spawn out of the pond and put it in a nursery tank as last year our newts ate nearly all the tadpoles :o

Lots of other things sprouting too - oh how I love Spring (or almost Spring anyway!). It is sooooo lovely to wake up in the mornings now and hear the birds singing.

Enjoy your gardens everyone.
Charliecat.x

Melis

Postby Melis » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:51 am

I've got some of those tulips that are in Kath's photo. We made a raised bed a couple of weeks ago and Gary filled it yesterday with soil. (Well nearly filled it. It takes more soil than you think). We are going to plant it up with veg. Well again it will be hubby as I have the opposite of green fingers.

Melis

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:47 am

I have a new raised bed. Although am a but worried about what to plant now that we have a hosepipe ban. A friend waters when we go on holiday and not sure I can expect her to do watering cans, as I would expect her to give everything a good soaking just a few times.

DingleDel

Postby DingleDel » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:26 am

We want to get some guttering set up on the playhouse & then we need to get a new water butt, must admit we haven't had one for a few years because Amelia kept on playing around with it! :wink:

WE haven't got a huge garden and "luckily enough" we usually have a little helper with a watering can! :wink:

Bit disappointed that I can't shake this rotten flu. We have a new Dobbies opened up but I really don't feel up to wandering around with the children in tow on Mother's Day weekend! :roll:
Adele.

Return to “Gardening”