Summer flowering perennials

We crafters enjoy a bit of gardening...so anything to do with the garden goes here!
Carolyn
The Boss

Summer flowering perennials

Postby Carolyn » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:17 pm

I need more summar flowering perennials - what is your favourite, pink, white, blue/purple or red preferred, but might find a home for a yellow or orange one!

Kath

Re: Summer flowering perennials

Postby Kath » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:58 pm

It depends how much space you have really. I like Shasta daisies but they need a lot of room. They are white and very showy . I also like marigolds. They are not perennials but once you have them established they will seed themselves and grow for years. Carnations and pinks are pretty too and good for cutting.

LizG

Postby LizG » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:33 am

Dianthus ... but are they the name for pinks, not sure. They are easy to take cuttings from and they are pretty hardy.

Melis

Postby Melis » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:35 am

I love pinks. They remind me of visiting my great gran. She had hundreds and I was allowed to pick some. The car used to smell lovely on the way home. She also had loads of honesty growing in her front garden. Again I can remember having bunches of it. I had to sit outside when it was dry and rub the little discs to reveal the silver circles. I also had to collect the seeds. Every year my mum would grow some but it was never as good as great grans.

I bought a couple of pots of lavender and a pot of Shasta daisies from Morrison's a couple of weeks ago. I wanted them clumped together but hubby had planted them before I had chance to tell him. They were a good size and only

kenspeckle

Postby kenspeckle » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:03 am

Campanulas are nice and you can get the little ones for the front of the borders or tall ones (c. glomerata?) for the back. Don't know if the tall ones come in white or just blue/purple.
Canterbury bells (blue or white), Jacob's ladder (blue), Japanese anemones (pink or white - I love the white ones and they flower late on in the season when most other things have passed), verbena (pink/purple), geraniums (white, pink, purple, blue).
Can you tell I like the old fashioned "cottage garden" type flowers? :lol:

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:02 pm

I do have some pinks, many that I grew from seed and they are looking good. I do also have a japanese anenome - but it doesn't seem to be growing this year, not sure why. It would be lovely if it was out.

Not heard of shasta daisies will have a google :)

I have some baby campanulas but they are finished flowering - I wonder if it is the hot weather, I have given them a trim tonight to see if I can coax them back into flowering.

Not sure I know a jacobs ladder either so will look that one also.

Thank you some lovely ideas, keep them coming, I can always find some room somewhere in the garden.

Return to “Gardening”