Attracting birds into the garden!

We crafters enjoy a bit of gardening...so anything to do with the garden goes here!
DingleDel

Attracting birds into the garden!

Postby DingleDel » Sun May 11, 2014 2:45 pm

I have just blogged the home made coconut bird feeders we made in an attempt to get birds back into our garden. The current bird feeding station thing we have in the garden only seemed to attract wood pigeons and collared doves. They have been in the garden for a week now and I am delighted that I have seen blue tits using 2 of the coconuts already.

What shrubs or plants would you recommend to get more birds in please? The blue tits do seem to like our contorted hazel.
Adele.

http://www.dillydallydingle.blogspot.com
http://www.pinterest.com/dingledel/

Stampin Up! Demonstrator for Medway, Kent and wherever life takes me!

Carolyn
The Boss

Re: Attracting birds into the garden!

Postby Carolyn » Sun May 11, 2014 3:54 pm

the blue tits will pick off bugs - so things that have greenfly seem to be good :) Not sure what plants they like, other than all the birds like the dense shrubby plants that they can get in amongst, making hedges good.

Kath

Postby Kath » Sun May 11, 2014 3:58 pm

It looks good Adele. I posted on your blog and trying to leave the page has resulted in multiple posts! Sorry. I don't know how this happens.

LizG

Postby LizG » Sun May 11, 2014 4:07 pm

We have to make it difficult for the wood pigeon to get at the coconuts. We have two in a tall weeping weigelia and so many birds love being in that shrub/tree. We have hung one coconut from a very whippy branch so the pigeon has no safe purchase onn it. The other half coconut we balance in the fork of a branch and always fill with porridge oats. Robins, blackbirds and sparrows are the main feeders on that. Peter has bent some of the whippy branches around it and the wood pigeon can't get in there.

We have a hanging feeder from a pole and it is on a long chain and has a conical hat above the feeder tray. Magpies and woodpigeon cannot get on it but we have blackbirds, greenfinch, blue tit, coal tit, sparrows, chaffinches and more. We put sunflowr seeds in that one and we also have a window feeder with them in too. It took them a long time to get happy to come to that oneas it is on the patio door and obviously they can see us. They now come happily and that includes robins, blackbirds, blue tits and sparrows.

We do have two thick evergreen Viburnam shrubs next to the Weigelia and they are about 6 foot tall and very dense. We also have a very thick ivy covering of a trellis fence. Birds nest in both the viburnam and the ivy.

DingleDel

Postby DingleDel » Sun May 11, 2014 4:12 pm

Thank you. We have been sitting out in the conservatory in hysterics watch a big fat wood pigeon trying to work out how it could get the food from the coconut! In the end Chris went out and filled up the big feeder but whilst watching we had several visits from blue tits. They are only feeding from 2 of the 3 coconut shells at the moment it seems.

The blue tits also took a liking to one of our box trees.

It's been nice and relaxing but I had better get dinner on! :roll:
Adele.

http://www.dillydallydingle.blogspot.com
http://www.pinterest.com/dingledel/

Stampin Up! Demonstrator for Medway, Kent and wherever life takes me!

Melis

Postby Melis » Sun May 11, 2014 5:07 pm

I miss not being able to feed the birds here. In our last garden we had all sorts of feeders and birds but when we put them up here we were inundated with seagulls. It was like something from a horror film. We will wait until we move to the next house before we try again.

Melis

Return to “Gardening”