Plant sales

We crafters enjoy a bit of gardening...so anything to do with the garden goes here!
Carolyn
The Boss

Plant sales

Postby Carolyn » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:01 pm

Rachel asked about plant sales so thought I would start a new thread here.

When we started doing some things I knew that I had the Country market stall that I could sell through, so I had an idea of what might sell and what sort of price.

First I got Owen to do cuttings of plants in my garden. We did them mid summer and I had some polystryrene cell things which I can talk about later that came with lids - I can chat about taking cuttings if this is something you need to know about.

This meant that we basically had lots of plants to sell in the following spring.

I then ordered some plug plants for delivery in March and got Owen potting them on. Additionally he took Fuschia cuttings early so they were big enough to sell, and I managed to get some plugs at a good price too.

I then didn't have enough pots - so instead of buying them I used freecycle and put a notice on the market stall.

this led to people giving us big patio pots and in the first couple of years we put annuals in these and sold them - but have to say they stopped selling.

So in summary I think you need to have a think about where you can sell the plants and then who they customers might be, and plant according to them. Just off out now will put more info on prices later.

here is a link to some of my plants (and a few others)

http://ampthillcm.blogspot.co.uk/2014/0 ... lants.html

and also here:

http://countrymattershexton.blogspot.co ... ducer.html

Kath

Re: Plant sales

Postby Kath » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:45 pm

How much do you sell your plants for, Carolyn? Which ones sell the most?

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:54 pm

I sell out little annual plugs at 40p each - seems to be the going rate everywhere, as my pots are free I do pot them up individually. I buy plugs from here:

http://www.brooksidenursery.co.uk/ they seem to offer free postage every Christmas! they do smaller quantities, you can get loads of the same from lots of places that do work out cheaper if you can cope with that quantity. so I get 40 for somewhere around

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:21 pm

forgot to say other things that have sold, but another seller has done them so I don't do them, daffs in pots, and snowdrops

So could be worth having a go with those, always fancy doing them in tea cups etc - but need to drill holes on them really

Aisles

Postby Aisles » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:28 pm

Because I'm seen working in my vast garden most days people often stop and chat to ask me what I'm growing.

I often now have a small table out there with me that I put plants on for people to buy.

So I always sew more seeds than I will ever use both veggie such as courgettes, tomatoes, chillies, basil, and bedding plants like French marigolds and polygonians.

My little plants are grown in my own homemade compost from my compost bin and I use large yoghurt pots and someone gave me pot noddle pots so the only cost I have to work out is how much my seeds cost.

What I get for my little plants pays for next years order of seeds from my seed catalog.

My old gardener used to make up hanging baskets and gift plant baskets from all the extra plants as well as sell larger tubs of strawberries and red currant bushes that he'd cultivated from my 2 huge red currant bushes and sell them at the local car boot sale.

Red currants are easy to grow you just pin down a low branch to the soil and it will root. The cut it from the main bush dig it up and replant it. Result a new one year old bush.

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:23 pm

Courgettes always sell well, I buy seeds innthe sale at end of season, normally pay 50p.

Nb if you sell through country markets you can't sell fruit canes or strawberries due to disease

RachelB

Postby RachelB » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:32 pm

lots for thought there. Not sure where we would sell so will have to have a think
thanks ladies
Rx
An Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator since 2008! And Lovin' It!

Stampin' Up Blog (Check it out for the specials!)
Stampin' Website

Twitter @stampingurl
Facebook

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:22 pm

anyone can join the country markets - you probably have one near you

Kath

Postby Kath » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:36 pm

Rachel, could you put some on a table outside your house? It depends how many people travel along your road I guess. If you did it on a Saturday your daughter could stay with your table and then she would be 'in charge' of the operation?

Anne

Postby Anne » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:36 am

When my daughter was in the junior school she sold her plants at the school fete. The headmaster encouraged her.

She went on to study Commercial Horticulture at Uni and is now an Area Manager for one of the bigger Garden centre company with 16 centres under her wing.

From small beginnings.......

She used to take cuttings from relation's gardens or buy a plant at the market and break it up or take cuttings from it.
Anne

RachelB

Postby RachelB » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:16 pm

We live in a very small little area its not big enough to be a village and we are down a private rd. I am half thinking maybe we should bake dog biscuits there are that many dog walkers!! We don't get passing trade other than a few dog walkers though. We can't do the school fete as we have a Farmers Market at the school and each of the classes grows different things to raise funds already so we would be directly competing which is tricky. ALso there is a donated plants stall which is at the main summer fete when they hold it.

Will check out the country market scene as I know you can have a stall at the general market for
An Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator since 2008! And Lovin' It!

Stampin' Up Blog (Check it out for the specials!)
Stampin' Website

Twitter @stampingurl
Facebook

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:05 pm

we are the same - no passing trade, so I found a co-operative craft/vintage/plants anything goes at Hexton they take 20%, and the country market we pay 10% - I think some are a little more.

kenspeckle

Postby kenspeckle » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:50 pm

Dog biscuits would be a great idea - exploit the market in your doorstep! Lots of easy recipes out there, and you can get little bone-shaped cutters for not much money.

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:57 pm

We used to have a member years ago that did dog biscuits.

Well I sold 4 plants out of 11 today so not bad for the first outing of the season!

Return to “Gardening”