pulled pork in the slow cooker

Recipes or anything food related....
Carolyn
The Boss

pulled pork in the slow cooker

Postby Carolyn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:25 pm

I bought a piece of pork shoulder that was cut and prepared like they do in the US from Waitrose - it was reduced - and with the rest of the pork cuts. I stuck it in the slow cooker on top of a sliced onion and then shredded it when I got home and added the sauce that was included. We had it with corn on the cob (I know they are not in season!) and coleslaw and crusty bread - it was lovely and made a change - anyone else tried it?

kenspeckle

Re: pulled pork in the slow cooker

Postby kenspeckle » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Thats sounds yummy! How had they prepared it? Never seen it at the meat counter other than rolled :oops:
We did it on the barbie once and it was great, but not tried it since.

I popped into Waitrose on the way home last week for one thing and came out with some beef cheeks :o (as you do!) - they were so sweet and delicious. I usually get my meat from the butcher but Waitrose's meat is always good too.

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:44 pm

TBH it said it was cut differently - but I couldn't see really - they had covered it with a 'rub' so you couldn't see what it looked like. I searched around the internet to see if it would do in the slow cooker as the directions suggested 2 hours or so in the oven, which for most days is no good as I work. Lots seem to do it in the slow cooker so thought I would give it a go. I decided to sit directly in the bottom of the cooker might make it too cooked at the bottom. So piled up the onions and sat it on top.

I have now done it 3 times - the first I cooked from 11 - 6.30 and it needed a bit more (I have a low setting), so now I put it on a timer and do it from 9 to 6.30ish. I also put a tiny drop of water in the first 2 times but forgot the last time and couldn't say I noticed the difference!

In waitrose it is with all the other pork joints and has a brownish label - not that easy to spot - it was reduced - which is why I noticed. I have yet to pay full price for it - so it may not continue - maybe people are not sure what to do with it.

LisaB

Postby LisaB » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:35 am

I hate my slow cooker but one of the few things I do in it is a variation on pulled pork which I then use to make enchiladas - It always comes out really nice.

Return to “Recipes”