Gooseberries!

Recipes or anything food related....
craftdancer

Gooseberries!

Postby craftdancer » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:13 am

Yesterday I was given just over 2Kg of gooseberries (last year's crop) from someone who is clearing out their freezer.

I found a recipe for Gooseberry and Elderflower jam which I think I will try, but I need to top and tail the fruit first and that is going to be a bit messy as well as take some time. I'm thinking I will do it while I watch the Grand Prix on Sunday.

Linda

Carolyn
The Boss

Re: Gooseberries!

Postby Carolyn » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:25 pm

sounds lovely

Kath

Postby Kath » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:43 pm

Gooseberries are about the only fruit I don't like! Good lucl with the topping and tailing Linda. :lol:

craftdancer

Postby craftdancer » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:48 am

Good lucl with the topping and tailing

Thanks Kath. I have just got them out of my freezer so they are thawed for tomorrow.

I'm beginning to wonder whether to change my mind and do gooseberry chutney after all as the orange and parsnip marmalade I made didn't set :( and with chutney it doesn't matter what degree of set it achieves.

Linda

RachelB

Postby RachelB » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:32 pm

Get some pectin for the jam - sloppy gooseberry jam is still better than none sloppy - its delivious. My only tip for top and tail is a small sharp pair of scissors :-)
An Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator since 2008! And Lovin' It!

Stampin' Up Blog (Check it out for the specials!)
Stampin' Website

Twitter @stampingurl
Facebook

craftdancer

Postby craftdancer » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:24 pm

Get some pectin for the jam

I have pectin in house, but my orange and parsnip didn't set even with added pectin :(

sloppy gooseberry jam is still better than none sloppy - its delivious

I'll take your word for it - I don't eat jam and dislike gooseberries! :)

My only tip for top and tail is a small sharp pair of scissors

I'll see what they're like, but I suspect they will be soggy and squidgy enough for me to do it with my (very clean) fingernails, once they have thawed. BUT I will have the scissors standing by. :)

Linda

kenspeckle

Postby kenspeckle » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:27 pm

I love eating gooseberries but only raw - I cannot abide the cooked taste or smell of them cooking.

My dad used to have green and red ones growing in the garden and I used to pick, and top & tail them for mum and then stay out of the house until she'd made the jam and jelly as the smell made me retch! :lol:

RachelB

Postby RachelB » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:24 pm

the red ones are delicious as they come but always found the green a bit tart. I thought that about them being squidgy 2d .......
Rachel
An Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator since 2008! And Lovin' It!

Stampin' Up Blog (Check it out for the specials!)
Stampin' Website

Twitter @stampingurl
Facebook

craftdancer

Postby craftdancer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:49 am

the red ones are delicious as they come but always found the green a bit tart. I thought that about them being squidgy 2d .......

The gooseberries are done - I did them yesterday evening. It turned out they weren't quite as squidgy as I expected on the whole and the scissors tip was very useful - thank you Rachel.

I am going to start on the jam in a few minutes and then I've also got nectarine chutney to do.

Funnily enough, yesterday evening a friend sent me a message about red gooseberries and said she has spotted a bush last weekend when she was out at one of the local village agricultural shows. She has a stand today at another show near said spot so when her event is over we are hoping to go and pick some red gooseberries. Then will will both go and play in our kitchens.

Linda

craftdancer

Postby craftdancer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:57 am

Jam and chutney both made and in pots. Waiting for them to cool and then will sort out labels.

The jam tastes delicious. You were absolutely spot on Rachel!

Linda

Return to “Recipes”