Quince and Grapefruit Marmalade - help/advice please

Recipes or anything food related....
craftdancer

Quince and Grapefruit Marmalade - help/advice please

Postby craftdancer » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:21 am

I've been given a bagful of quince and a request to try making quince and grapefruit marmalade. I did quince marmalade last year and it turned out quite well.

A quick hunt on t'internet and in recipe books hasn't turned up a specific recipe, although I've got a quince and lemon one I could use as a basis.

Just wondered if anyone has got a specific recipe or could give me an idea of proportions of grapefruit to quince - I don't want one flavour to overpower the other.

Any ideas or suggestions gratfully received.
Linda

Kath

Re: Qunice and Grapefruit Marmalade - help/advice please

Postby Kath » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:49 am

Sorry I can't help, Linda. I would have thought that if you substitute grapefruiut for lemon it would work.

kenspeckle

Postby kenspeckle » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:02 pm

Hi Linda,
Haven't tried that combination, but I have found a recipe for Quince & Seville orange marmalade which might give a good estimate of relative quantities to use.
http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/seville-orange-and-quince-marmalade-recipe-6453

Would be interested to to hear how you get on whatever method you try. I am collecting some quinces tomorrow and, although I have plans for them, I may keep some to try this marmalade.

Good luck!

craftdancer

Postby craftdancer » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:13 pm

Thank you both for your replies.

If push comes to shove Kath, I will be doing what you suggest, I just thought that if anyone had come across it before I'd be interested in the ratios so as to balance out the flavours.

Cottagesmallholder is one of the first sites I visit when I'm looking for recipes, so I've already got a copy of that one which is high on the list to use for estimating quantities.

I'll try an remember to post about the results - give me a nudge if I forget.

I have come across a quince and ginger marmalade recipe today which I may try if I have enough fruit left after the plain quince marmalade, the quince and grapefruit marmalade and the spicy quince chutney which went down a storm last year!

Did I mention that the quince and grapefruit has been requested by the Chair of the Board - who is also the lady who brought me the quince? Hope that explains why I'm being so pedantic about this as I really would like to get it right first time! :)

Linda

Return to “Recipes”