Free food cooking

Recipes or anything food related....
Carolyn
The Boss

Free food cooking

Postby Carolyn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:34 pm

So have many of you been picking 'hedgerow' fruits this year. I just have not got around to doing any this year. Apart from a bowlful of blackberries that I picked a couple of weeks ago, that I just cooked and eat them with yoghurt.

LizG

Re: Free food cooking

Postby LizG » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:20 pm

I meant to go out and get blackberries but never got round to it. Not sure how many there were given that we haven't had much sun.

In the garden the strawberries have flowered a second time and there are green berries; don't know if they will ripen or not.

kenspeckle

Postby kenspeckle » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:37 am

Was going to pick elderberries at my mum & dad's as they have loads of bushes over their fence. Birds had beaten me to it - they were stripped bare :lol:

Not done anything else yet :-? I do still have a lot of preserves left from last year though so I'm not too worried yet :)

craftdancer

Postby craftdancer » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:31 pm

I got a few yellow mirabelles (cherry plums) at the end of July, had a few pounds of blackberries from our brambles during September and managed to get a couple of pounds of elderberries from round about the other week (nothing to speak of on our trees). The trees I usually get crab apples from were completely lacking in fruit (I'm generally picking them up by the bucketful and there's still enough left to feed the bird population of the county), the few damsons around had been stripped from the trees by others. I had planned to go out and get some rosehips and hawthorn berries, but now I am working full time I'm not going to have time to do that.

Linda

Return to “Recipes”