Ideas for Christmas day please!

Recipes or anything food related....
DingleDel

Ideas for Christmas day please!

Postby DingleDel » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:57 pm

Once again I am struggling for ideas for Christmas Day starters. I usually end up making a complete mixture as my mum cannot eat seafood or pate and others do not like cheeses, sauces, mushrooms.....etc :doh

I want to simplify things ideally and be able to make up ahead of time with minimal time on the day.

Ideas would be much appreciated. What are you all sitting down to on Xmas Day? :santa:
Adele.

http://www.dillydallydingle.blogspot.com
http://www.pinterest.com/dingledel/

Stampin Up! Demonstrator for Medway, Kent and wherever life takes me!

Kath

Re: Ideas for Christmas day please!

Postby Kath » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:23 pm

How about melon and ginger. That's a nice starter I always think.

I expect we will be having prawn cocktail but my Granddaughter ,who doesn't like seafood ,will be having soup. My D-I-L cooks for us on Christmas day which is lovely.

Melis

Postby Melis » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:23 pm

We have a big family get together the Sunday before Christmas. Every year my sister in law does the food. We have picky party food for starters. We are all stood around her big island in her kitchen. There is usually some dip, salamis, olives, blinis, devils on horseback, etc then we have salmon, beef, buttery new potatoes, veg etc. My sister usually does a pudding.

Our Christmas dinner is a slightly bigger version on a Sunday roast. We have it late afternoon as nobody wants a big dinner after consuming a selection box or two for breakfast. :roflmao:

Melis

craftdancer

Postby craftdancer » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:05 am

Smoked salmon? Bit of lettuce, tomato, peppers etc to garnish and you could put small dishes of cream cheese, dips, pickles, chutney out for anyone who likes it. The garnish could be prepared beforehand and kept in a plastic box in the refrigerator, likewise the dips etc could be put in dishes and kept in the fridge for a few hours, then you'd just have to put it out on the plates. This assumes, of course, that you have space in your fridge!

Linda - who will be having prawns for starters

kenspeckle

Postby kenspeckle » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:49 pm

We will be having canapes (sounds dead posh - any other time it's just finger food :lol: ) Only 4 of us on Christmas day, so smoked salmon (or smoked mackerel pate for my dad) on blinis or oatcakes. We tend to concentrate on the main course - turkey, roasties, stuffing, pigs in blankets, parsnips, carrots, sprouts, bread sauce, gravy - just a light snack :roflmao: Usually no space for Christmas pud after that, but it can be zapped in the microwave for anyone brave enough!
When all the family come, the starters will be the same plus houmous & pitta (mainly for my veggie niece), teeny savoury muffins which I have made and frozen and anything else I think of before then :lol: I think veg sticks with light dips or even chunks of fruit are good if you don't want to overdo it before the main event :)

I now need inspiration for a pud for Sunday when we are doing dinner for my friend & hubby on their ruby wedding. (Oh and I still have to assemble the card :o )

Kath

Postby Kath » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:09 pm

Raspberry trifle? It is red! :)

Return to “Recipes”