Button holes in knitting....are they easy enough to learn?

Pretty much anything with yarn, cotton, needles and thread
Calv

Button holes in knitting....are they easy enough to learn?

Postby Calv » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:22 pm

Hi all.....

I'm wanting to make one of these for Maddy and the girls....

Hopefully they won't have such a concerned/scared look as the lady in the pic when i'm done, but anyway....

I've only ever done plain garter stitch, and just on scarves. So whilst the idea of a button whole may seem nothing to most of you, it's daunting to me. :-? Should i just follow a pattern, or should i just keep knitting until i feel the scarf is long enough to put the holes where i need to, then do it?

Is there a basic demo on how to do these? I will have a look myself, but thought you may know of an easy way to do it.

On this occasion i'm not going to get Maddy to teach me, firstly because i want this as a present to her, and secondly because i totally do her head in when she tries to teach me something lol. :lol: I tend to get a bit muddled when being taught things like this, so for the teacher it is a stressful time indeed. She has enough stress in her life without teaching me button holes. :-?

Thanks for any advice on this.

Calv.

Kath

Re: Button holes in knitting....are they easy enough to lear

Postby Kath » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:48 pm

Here's a video about making button holes, Calv. It looks complicated but it isn't. These are re-inforced so they would be good for what you are knitting. Does the pattern you have not tell you how to do them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Y4vBzLo-Xs

Calv

Postby Calv » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:02 am

Cheers Kath, much appreciated.

Kath wrote:Does the pattern you have not tell you how to do them?

Whats a knitting pattern? :lol:

Calv.

craftdancer

Postby craftdancer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:45 am

I'm sure the link Kath has posted will help a lot (haven't time to check it out myself and I'm just on the way to w*rk), but the basics of buttonholes in knitting are that when you reach the point where the buttonhole is to be placed:

you knit along the row to the point where the buttonhole is to start
cast off the number of stitches indicated (if you are using a pattern) or that will make the buttonhole long enough
knit to the end of the row

on the return row you knit up to the point where you cast off the stitches on the previous row
you then cast on the same number of stitches that you cast off the previous row
knit to the end of the row

you can then carry on knitting to the design.

There are techniques to reinforce or prevent holes in the final knitting but that is the basics. Just think of it as a two part construction spread over two rows.

Hope this helps
Linda

Calv

Postby Calv » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:12 am

Thank you Kath and Linda, the video was simple enough to follow but still looked a bit daunting and alien to me, then again i've done casting off so it's not something i can't do.

Between the vid and the explanation from Linda, it should be manageable. I'll practice on a spare piece instead of messing up my scarf. :)

Thanks ladies, much appreciated.

Calv.

Aisles

Postby Aisles » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:03 pm

Excellent explaintion of how to make a button hole.

You can also do button hole loops.

Use a crochet hook crochet a little chain then sew the chain into a hoop and pop your button through that.

Return to “Knitting/crochet/needlecrafts”