baby knitting boom

Pretty much anything with yarn, cotton, needles and thread
Carolyn
The Boss

baby knitting boom

Postby Carolyn » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:18 am

Apparently as there are some celebrity babies on the way including the new royal there is a prediction that knitting will be on the increase this year. I read it in craft business, although not sure I can see why - they featured this book - which looked nice

Very British Baby Knits: 30 Stylish Designs Fit for a Royal Baby

kenspeckle

Re: baby knitting boom

Postby kenspeckle » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:36 pm

Some nice knits there. My niece knits loads of things for her wee ones - makes up animal designs and uses lots of bright colours. I think she goes to a knitting caf

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:03 am

That sounds interesting, I have a few things that I knitted but not managed to sell much recently so have stopped taking it to the market I wonder as I am the only one that there is not much choice - so maybe that is why it doesn't sell :(

kenspeckle

Postby kenspeckle » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:55 am

Difficult to know isn't it? Maybe it depends on the age range of people who visit the stall. Chunkier knits with bright colours seem popular with the young mums I know, but maybe grannies and great-grannies still prefer pretty and pastel? Although you can't generalise as I fit into the latter age bracket but prefer bright and chunky :lol:

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:31 am

...I am not sure what people will like, maybe we don't even have customers that are with newborns. Can't deny that we have less customers all together now, year on year I think there are less people around during the day as people retire older, although I am hoping with the 'working from home' trend we may get some new customers soon :)

LizG

Postby LizG » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:16 am

Carolyn wrote:...I am not sure what people will like, maybe we don't even have customers that are with newborns. Can't deny that we have less customers all together now, year on year I think there are less people around during the day as people retire older, although I am hoping with the 'working from home' trend we may get some new customers soon :)

Could you offer a knit to order service?

Aisles

Postby Aisles » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:46 am

After talking to a number of mother's of little ones and from different ecomonic backgrounds this is what I've found concerning buying baby cloths.

As we need they grow very quickly so they tend to want to buy lots of cheap items that can take a lot of being thrown into the washing machine.

Those who have a bit more money to spend like the one off more expensive items such as a lovely hand made item and yes hand made will always be more expensive than mass produced items.

They tend to like a mix of bold different types of items ie bold and colourful, pale and delicate and cute animal designs. Things like owl hats and foxs etc etc.

They like to know how to wash hand knitted items many say they are afraid it's all hand wash and they don't have time for hand washing. So they want items that can be machine washed. So washing/drying instructions need to be attached to items. In craft fairs I use a little paper tag with a tiny ribbon tied to the item with those details on including details of the yarn use ie 100% cotton or whatever the yarn used might be.

I found I sell a lot of crochet baby items and lots of knitted and crochet baby blankets in bright bold colours.

Return to “Knitting/crochet/needlecrafts”