Circular needles

Pretty much anything with yarn, cotton, needles and thread
Newbie Viv

Circular needles

Postby Newbie Viv » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:13 pm

HELP!!!
I'm relatively new to knitting but love a challenge and recently started a mans sweater. I'm at a stage where I need to use circular needles. Having never used them before It took a while to get use to them but I struggled on and finally got to grips with them and was actually enjoying them until SNAP, the plastic came out of the end of one of them and I spent ages picking up dropped stitches.
I assumed it was just a fault with those needles so bought more and proceeded to swap the stitches over and SNAP, you guessed it :anger:
Can anyone please tell me if this happens all the time with circular needles and if so what's the use of them?
If anyone knows of really reliable circulars I'd love to know what they are. The ones I've been using are 'Pony'.
I would hate to abandon my sweater as I was doing really well.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
:tyou:
Viv.

Carolyn
The Boss

Re: Circular needles

Postby Carolyn » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:21 pm

I have used them but not for a big item, so maybe they are not so good with a big weight, but they make them long enough so you would expect them to be OK.

I actually started using 5 needles rather than circular and found them easier in the end.

Welcome to the forum :) Lovely to see a newbie

Kath

Postby Kath » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:45 pm

I am not keen on knitting at all, Viv, so couldn't give any advice. How annoying though. I should take them back and complainbecause they shouldn't snap like that.

Welcome to the forum.

Newbie Viv

Postby Newbie Viv » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:56 pm

Thanks girls.
I've been reading online that these particular ones snap quite regularly, which is disgusting, if you've been working hard and then through no fault of your own you almost lose your work. I have seen an ad for some much more reliable ones so I'll give those a try. In the meantime trust me I shall be in touch with the manufacturers to complain.
Thanks for the welcome, it's good to know if I ever need any advice about knitting I have somewhere to come.
Viv

Melis

Postby Melis » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:43 am

Can't knit but wanted to say hello and welcome.

Melis

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:45 am

I guess some are glued. There are some that you fix in, but set are very expensive
http://www.deramores.com/knit-pro-symfo ... oCdwHw_wcB

You can buy them singularly

http://www.deramores.com/knit-pro-inter ... oCCq3w_wcB

Search for knit pro. Like Kath says not good enough, they should be fit for purpose.

How is the sweater going?

DingleDel

Postby DingleDel » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:50 am

Hello and a big warm welcome to the Forum. :wiggle:

I am sorry I cannot help further regarding the circular needles. Although I do knit, I have never mastered double pointed needles or a circular needle as I am a left handed and hold my needle really funny. lol :oops:
Adele.

http://www.dillydallydingle.blogspot.com
http://www.pinterest.com/dingledel/

Stampin Up! Demonstrator for Medway, Kent and wherever life takes me!

craftdancer

Postby craftdancer » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:50 pm

I've never had a problem with circular needles breaking. All of mine are Milward - most inherited from my Mother - and have been in use for many years.

I used one recently to make myself a waistcoat in aran weight wool and am about to use another to make myself a 4 ply cardigan (not sure I've got enough yarn in the same colour so I'm knitting the fronts and the back at the same time).

Linda

Aisles

Postby Aisles » Thu May 12, 2016 10:37 am

I've had 2 of my finer circular bamboo ones snap but they were so cheap I could replace a full set for the price of one.

I do have a metal set I bought from Germany that are great as the points are solid but then they become like wire for the middle bit so there are no joins that can come undone and the being metal they're more likely to bend then brake for the finer ones.

They are called Premium Ruixang and are in imperial sizing rather than metric sizing. They were cheap as well as I found them on ebay. Oh and each one comes with a darning needle as well. They were sold in a set of 8 but came individually packed.

Return to “Knitting/crochet/needlecrafts”