Check out the Christmas activities here
Carolyn
The Boss

Fir cones

Postby Carolyn » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:49 pm

Has anyone ever decorated these for Christmas,

like this:

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Made-Lov ... ed-items-3

If I collected some cones - not sure if I will find big ones in this country - anyone know? Should I try and wash and dry them? Was thinking of just making a decoration to stick in some of the plant pots Owen has with winter pansies - but not sure if that would be a good idea or not.

kenspeckle

Re: Fir cones

Postby kenspeckle » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:11 pm

I remember doing these when I was about primary school age :lol:

We did find some reasonably big ones and we painted them with metallic paint. Also, holding them upside down and then 'painting' from base to tip with some with PVA and sprinkling glitter so it sticks just to the edges and makes them look frosted.

We just hung them on ribbon, nothing fancy, but you could put them on florists wire and put a bow etc to make plant pot decorations. The shops do that kind of thing so why not - got to be worth an extra quid or two to Owen! :lol:

Kath

Postby Kath » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:35 pm

I found plenty of big fir cones in woods a year or two ago. I didn't do anything with them, but I am sure you will find some big ones if you go looking.

LizG

Postby LizG » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:22 pm

We often find large fir cones when out and about; found some only the other week when walking through the gardens at Walmer Castle.

Just make sure the are clean and then let them dry naturally as they will open up a bit. We sprayed them or painted them with a gold lacquer paint (came in a small tin but goes a long way). Whilst still wet we sprinkled with glitter. We didn't hang ours but made them into table decorations. We stuck them into polyfiller base; we laid them in cottonwool in glass bowls; we balanced them in the Christmas tree branches; even just left them lying in groups on windowsills. Some of them we entwined with tinsel but that looked pretty naff, to be honest. We did these over 45 years ago and I still have some but never use them now (really must throw them away) and no doubt there are far better products to use on them.

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:59 pm

thanks everyone.

I have been to Poundland for a reccy and they have cans of gold spray paint and fake snow. They also have 25 mini baubles in silver or gold, or red or blue and silver. And also 16 slightly bigger baubles - so these are all on the ideas table to make a 'pick'.

Owen says that he prefers silver to gold (and so do I but maybe it will depend on what they have!), although the M & S ones have snow. I do have various ribbons - although no tartan.....

I went to the florist wholesalers the other day and they had sackfuls of fir cones - didn't actually ask how much they were, so they clearly reckon they are going to be popular!

We do only have pansies for pots, so again can't decide if they are OK - the shops normally have evergreen like mini conifers.

Kath

Postby Kath » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:41 pm

It might be worth putting some hyacinths in pots for Christmas flowering. They would probably sell well. I think they need to be in now though or pretty soon.
I put some amaryllus in last year for Christmas presents and they flowered well before they should have!! Oh well, I had a great display on my windowsill!!!

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:47 am

I have put a few in a pot - but tbh not sure if they will be up by Christmas - some maybe Ok for Mothers Day!

Return to “Christmas”