Christmas plans

Check out the Christmas activities here
Carolyn
The Boss

Christmas plans

Postby Carolyn » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:11 am

So what are you all up to this year? DH is getting MiL and she is coming for Christmas, which is only the 2nd time we have done that, last year being the first.

I presume we will be doing turkey, but not quite sure what to get - a whole turkey will be too much for the 4 of us, and I think I am the only one that will eat it cold. I will go to M & S and see what they have this week, and will stick it in the freezer.

are you baking anything special?

craftdancer

Re: Christmas plans

Postby craftdancer » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:28 am

We are doing as little as possible. OH doesn't even acknowledge that Christmas exists and brother is much the same. As brother is the youngest in our family (at mid-50s!) and Mother is in a care home deteriorating with physical health problems and Alzheimers, there is no point in trying to do anything. Any decorations I try and put up will be destroyed by the cats.

I have a biiiiiiig bacon joint in the freezer which I will cook and it will do meals for several days - hot and cold. If the weather is reasonable and Mother is having a good day the four of us will go to a local hostelry for lunch on Boxing Day, otherwise the three of us will go and it will just be our annual meal out.

I'm working between Christmas and New Year and think I will spend the holiday days sleeping - bliss!!!

Linda

Kath

Postby Kath » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:00 am

We shall be going to my younger son's for Christmas. I am looking forward to it. We shall have turkey and all the trimmings. Mmmmmmmm! I usually buy the turkey and my son ordered it this week...about 18lbs ..8-9 kg.

RachelB

Postby RachelB » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:18 am

I am off to my brothers house - he recently moved in with his girlfriend and his daughter and they have volunteered to host this year - he is the youngest of 6!!! Plus our parents and assorted other halves and my daughter as well so it will be busy and fun I hope. We will go up with Johns Mum as well to add to the party - provided she makes it up here weather and health permitting.

Rachel
An Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator since 2008! And Lovin' It!

Stampin' Up Blog (Check it out for the specials!)
Stampin' Website

Twitter @stampingurl
Facebook

LizG

Postby LizG » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:43 pm

Daughter, SIL and 2 children are coming to us . Usually SIL's mother and sometimes his twin brother will come for tea in the afternoon. It will be a round of visiting for daughter and family but we will stay put, unless Mum stays in the home over Christmas, in which case we will go down on Boxing Day to see her.

Zug Stitcher

Postby Zug Stitcher » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:14 pm

... maybe a thread called "How would you like to spend Christmas?" would be interesting?

I'd have a chalet, all the friends I see too little of, catering, snow, roaring fire and games - and I'd also magic away all cares and woes so that everyone could really relax, re-charge the batteries and face the New Year with optimism, energy and the knowledge that no matter how bad things are, they always but always get better sooner or later.

A pretty unrealistic wish really .... OK, I'll settle for world peace and a nice bit of turkey instead of a fondue then!!!!

Love and hugs all round whatever "Christmas" means to you
Nicki xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by Zug Stitcher on Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance”. Socrates

Kath

Postby Kath » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:42 pm

No obligation here though! :roflmao: I feel priviledged to have my family so close by. I love spending Christmas with them.
I know Christmas is so hard for so many people I sometimes feel guilty that I enjoy it so much. If I had a wish I would wave a magic wand and make all the wrongs right and all the unhappiness disappear.

LizG

Postby LizG » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:10 pm

Oh, I love having my visitors and would hate it to be any other way.

My Mum should be going to my sister this year, but at the moment I cannot see that happening.

kenspeckle

Postby kenspeckle » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:54 pm

We'll probably be home alone. If our nephew can't get away from work early enough on Christmas Eve to be able to get home then he will just come up to us as he has to be at work early Boxing Day.

Too much going on to be able to travel up to Scotland to be with our families :( looks like we may be packing boxes instead. A good way to work off a few calories :lol:
We'll have a party on Hogmanay or New Year's Day

annmarie

Postby annmarie » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:48 pm

I'm home alone, too. Sainsbury's last delivery date is December 21 so what I eat will depend on the weather being decent enough for me to brave the shops (on the Friday before Christmass - am I completely bonkers??). My preferred choice is beef wellington (I eat chicken much of the time and turkey is too much like chicken to be a treat). I have Lidl's mini Stollen for breakfast (I've discovered my brother likes them, too) and I'll invest in some decent ground coffee (especially after I inflicted instant on him last time he came - he was so NOT impressed and deserves better).

I might get some really posh smoked salmon because I know that will keep long enough and is a real treat.

If I can't get what I'd like on the day I'll just have another celebration when I can for New Year or Epiphany (the last of the 12 days of Christmass).

Carolyn, M+S did do turkey crowns (just the top bit of the body) with apricot stuffing - don't know if they have them this year, but might suit a small table.
He that never knew sorrow of love never knew joy of it either

Medieval German

Blog at: http://www.anntiqueantics.blogspot.com/

LizG

Postby LizG » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:02 am

I always get a turkey crown because it means less work on Christmas Day and I am all for us enjoying each other and the day, rather than the work that goes into it.

kn56

Postby kn56 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:44 pm

The children come home on Friday - so excited :banana: We haven't seen our son since July, so looking forward to seeing him again :great:

We're having some friends over for lunch, and will spend the rest of the day by the pool. We have an outdoor projector and screen, our Big Christmas Movie will be Elf!

This is the first Christmas that we have spent outside the UK, an will obviously miss family, but that's what Skype was invented for, isn't it?!

Karen

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:56 pm

I bet the children are looking forward to it too.

sheilagh

Postby sheilagh » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:28 pm

There will just be OH and I and my elderly aunt who we will pick up from her flat. For the last couple of years I have bought a stuffed Turkey crown from Aldi.

I am not usually a fan of the white meat but these have proven to be really succulent and good vale. I also buy a couple of boned turkey thighs and fill them with some nice sausagemeat stuffing. We generally cook the meat the day before so it is much easier to slice when cold. Dessert will be a luxury christmas pud bought in the sale last year. We don't usually bother with a starter.

On boxing day when Mike has been to his football match we are off to my nephews for a get together. My sister and BIL are down from Keswick and are staying with them for a few days so we will exchange our presents then.

I must try and get a walk in every day over the hols - at least it will go some way to making up for the overeating etc that just might have happened over the holiday. :o

annmarie

Postby annmarie » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:15 pm

The weather has been kind to me - I have my beef Wellington! :lol: :lol:

What I had ordered from Sainsburys was dated for tomorrow, so that will be put in the freezer for later (maybe for the 12th day of Christmass?). My visitors (sister+whoever of her lot+a friend) are all coming Boxing Day, which this year is an important day for us as it's my mother's first anniversary.

Now I have to do some serious juggling with the contents of the fridge! I will make full use of the chilly draught that comes through the bottom of the French windows .... and things that aren't too critical (like cheese) can go in the conservatory
He that never knew sorrow of love never knew joy of it either

Medieval German

Blog at: http://www.anntiqueantics.blogspot.com/

Return to “Christmas”