Christmas past

Check out the Christmas activities here
Carolyn
The Boss

Christmas past

Postby Carolyn » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:59 pm

...so what are your memories of Christmas?

I seem to remember we were always given Bluebird toffee - no idea why I am not sure I ever liked it.

I also remember being given a carriage clock (not sure why I wanted one - must have been the in thing!) So Mum and Dad decided that all 3 of us should have one...my sister always moans about the fact that she never wanted one! Spookily she still has hers - mine has long gone......

craftdancer

Re: Christmas past

Postby craftdancer » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:53 pm

I can remember that my brother and I always used to get a new toothbrush, a tin of Gibbs toothpaste (I got red my brother got blue) and a bottle of Matey bubble bath in our stockings (which was actually one of Dad's socks!).

Does that date me somewhat?

Linda

Kath

Postby Kath » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:06 pm

Mine will date me more, Linda!

I remember my friend down the road had a Christmas tree with chocolate ornaments on. During the war you couldn't get chocolate so they were highly prized. Each year when the tree came down we were allowed to choose 1 each to eat. They must have been stale but since we hadn't had chocolate we had nothing to compare them with. I remember we were always excited when we were choosing them! I hasten to add we were VERY young! :roflmao:

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:11 pm

Ooh great memories. Presumably the chocolates ran out in the end :)

I never had a toothbrush. I am sure had some odd presents...

kenspeckle

Postby kenspeckle » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:56 pm

craftdancer wrote:I can remember that my brother and I always used to get a new toothbrush, a tin of Gibbs toothpaste (I got red my brother got blue) and a bottle of Matey bubble bath in our stockings (which was actually one of Dad's socks!).
Linda

Hahaha! Our stockings were also old knitted socks of dad's which he wore in his wellies :lol: We used to pin them to the mesh fireguard with old giant nappy pins :roflmao: Always a clementine in the bottom (wrapped in tissee paper of course!) and a thrupenny bit or a sixpence if we were lucky!

Our Christmas tree lights were glass in lovely subtle colours - none of these gaudy plastic ones which came in in the 70s. Mum and dad still have them! The tree went up a few days before Christmas in the front room and I used to love going into the room in the dark with just the tree lights on - it seemed magical. The smell of Christmas tree still takes me back there :xmas2:

The Christmas pud always had little real silver charms and a sixpence in it. Mum used to wrap the charms in greaseproof paper as if you bit one they used to get mangled as they were quite soft (the charms - not the sixpence :lol: ) I have the charms now, but haven't yet put them in the pudding.

LizG

Postby LizG » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:00 pm

kenspeckle wrote: Always a clementine in the bottom (wrapped in tissee paper of course!) and a thrupenny bit or a sixpence if we were lucky!

I remember getting clemtines in those tissue papers; we used to collect them to get as many different ones as possible. They had different pictures on them.

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:40 pm

aww what lovely memory. I do remember sitting by the tree without any other lights and the lovely smell - was just all about Christmas. I only remember 1970s plastic lights, apart from the ones we had in the hall that were glass, with a few special Father Christmas one, we used to have them instead of the hall lights and I just loved them.

annmarie

Postby annmarie » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:03 pm

Our tree always had real candles (with special German candle holders so that the candles could burn right down without setting the tree alight) up at the top and the lights at the bottom (so us kids - and later the cat! - couldn't cause havoc). Christmass Eve we always had a special supper of smoked salmon and then opened the family presents (leaving any that had come by post for Christmass day - there were quite a few of those as both my aunts lived abroad, one army, one foreign office). From when I was about 7 we always had visitors sent to us by the British Council (usually African students) and I remember one who came when I was seven and gave me a small tin of toffees. He was from Kerela, India and, until he died a year ago, I was still in contact with him. We had another African student who came every Christmass for about 13 years (he was studying law and had great difficulty getting through Finals - because he was an external student he had to pass in everything, otherwise they'd have taken more consideration of his coursework and that would have got him through).

That (and the fact we had homesick German aupair girls) was the reason we started early - my mother thought it would be rude to have our guests sit there while we opened piles of presents and she always made sure they had one to open, too. Of course we kids were sky-high hyped and I think she reckoned allowing us to start would at least let go some of the hype! (And then we could go to bed with a new toy and they could get on in peace!) In later years, I was always the one that grated the breadcrumbs for the stuffing and one of my fondest memories is of my Dad with his hand down the turkey's backside!

One year my brother was running a deli and brought us really swanky smoked salmon (the Norwiegen stuff). That was the year we suddenly remembered the turkey carcasses he had brought from the shop two days afterwards ..... emergency work party ensued with much sniffing to check the state of the turkey (he has a very sensitive nose) and long simmering. None of us got food poisoning.
He that never knew sorrow of love never knew joy of it either

Medieval German

Blog at: http://www.anntiqueantics.blogspot.com/

Melis

Postby Melis » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:18 am

It is lovely reading everyones Christmas stories. Ours always involved my parents and grandparents having large amounts of alcohol. :o

Dad would replace the main light bulb with something that was 100 times brighter so he could take cine films of our Christmas day. There is a great piece with my mum and gran with wigs on their heads playing draughts (neither of them actually know how to play).

My uncle would also come sometimes for Christmas with his swearing minor bird.

We always had a pillowcase at the end of the bed with a book, selection box and satsuma. I think the idea was for us to open the book and read until it was light. Never happened though. Always up at about 5.30 because 'he had been'.

Melis

LizG

Postby LizG » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:58 am

My Dad was fostered as a boy and I can remember always going to see her in a little old cottage and taking her present. She had one of those maroon velour type table coverings that had hanging bobbles on the side. She loved drinking port and lemon and she used to let me have a sip out of her glass (I was under 10 at the time).

Memories are lovely ....

Return to “Christmas”