software on your PC

Interested in researching your family tree, some members share sites and experiences.
Carolyn
The Boss

software on your PC

Postby Carolyn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:22 pm

Do you have software on your PC for keeping records, or just rely on something like Ancestry?

I use RootsMagic - for some reason I started with the US version - I don't think there was a UK version at the time, it does all I need, but not sure what else is available and maybe I need more!

Ancestry.co.uk is busy all the time searching through the records and coming up with hints, it is an enormous time waster.....

LizG

Re: software on your PC

Postby LizG » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:01 pm

When I first started I used a free programme called PAF that was on the Mormon's Family Search site. It was very basic but did all I needed. I eventually changed over to Legacy, another freebie, which allowed for more detail but I found it quite cumbersome entering detail.

Last year I saw a version of Family Tree Maker and liked it so bought FTM 2011 and it gave me 6 months free Ancestry.co.uk subscription. It does some good reports and you can even write a PDF book in it, using lots of the reports. The book can then be emailed to anyone you want.

The latest version FTM 2012 will sync your tree to Ancestry so that you don't need to enter it again on Ancestry. It too will go off and find you information on Ancestry.

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:32 pm

I assume that it is the UK version? Where do did you buy it from?

I like this idea - so can you save images easliy from the ancestry site to your own PC - does it automatically link them?

have seen on ein Amazon that is the deluxe

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Family-Tree-Mak ... 479&sr=1-2

can see that Ancestry just does platinum

http://www.ancestryshop.co.uk/products/ ... um-edition - my membership runs out in Dec - so maybe I could buy it then and get the access.

LizG

Postby LizG » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:47 pm

The programme is the same whichever version, it is just the length of time of the Ancestry subscription which determines which edition it is, as far as I know.

I bought mine at Amazon because it was cheaper than buying through Ancestry.

Sue

Postby Sue » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:40 am

do you know if you can buy this without the subscription at all ?

Also why do I need software if I can use the tree on Ancestry? I am sure there is a good reason I just trying to find a good starting point

Many thanks
Sue xxx
Where does the time go?

My Gallery
My Blog

LizG

Postby LizG » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:48 am

If you have your tree on Ancestry it remains Ancestry's right to data even if you keep it private and not publish it. So if you put on information and scanned documents that was not otherwise available on the internet or Ancestry they could, if they wished, use that. I forget the exact wording of their TOC but I had it sent to me from a family history group so will go and find it. It made me decide to only put names and dates on there. You can only access trees on Ancestry if you have a subscription and some people decide to change over and have a sub at Find My Past or other sites. Putting your tree on Ancestry keeps you tied to a subscription with Ancestry for access to it all the whilst you continue your research and want to add to it. You can only access all the whilst you have network coverage and if out and about would need a wifi dongle or smartphone - you can get an app on Ancestry to view on tablets and phones.

With the programme on your computer you can add images, documents and details and they remain private. You can view it anywhere, anytime if you have a laptop and take it with you for research. If you go to a records office they will let you take laptops in but they are not always buildings that are covered by your network for phones or dongles but if you are working locally on the laptop there is no problems.

There are many different programmes with lots of different features and reports. Choosing the right one might be merely a question of money, in which case there are a few free ones out there. I don't know if Ancestry lets you run reports or not or if so what they are; it is something to consider if they are important.

Sue

Postby Sue » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:06 pm

thanks Liz

I guess I need to sub to Ancestry plus keep a a family tree on a separate program, So where do I start? Would you recommend an easy starting place.

I am a mac user I have read a few software reviews but not sure really what I do want?

Any help would be FAB XXX
Sue xxx
Where does the time go?

My Gallery
My Blog

LizG

Postby LizG » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:26 pm

Here is the bit on the Ancestry trees. It is taken from a Lost Cousins Newsletter. I think if you click on the image it will come up larger so that you can read it.
Attachments
lost cousins.JPG

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:12 pm

the way I see the software is that it is your own stuff on your own equipment, tbh you could start with ancestry straightaway and then decide to get software later - you can download a gedcom at any time.

BUT you can get your own software and research without using ancestry there is lots of stuff out there, lots and lots is free depending where your tree takes you.

Also there is "find my past" and they have similar records - so you might use them instead. I think you can add your tree without paying a sub on ancestry anyway.

I would 'join' ancestry and see what you can do without a subscription.

Return to “Family history”