STUCK!! with my family tree

Interested in researching your family tree, some members share sites and experiences.
Sue

STUCK!! with my family tree

Postby Sue » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:07 am

I have this

Name:Rebecca Watkinson
Birth: abt1892
Family Members:
Spouse:Herbert A Watkinson,
Children:Stanley Herbert Watkinson
More:female
Marriage:1912, Edmonton Middlesex

I know she was married to Herbert and after they got married I can track where they lived

I cant track her previous to her marriage any tips please where am I going wrong?
Sue xxx
Where does the time go?

My Gallery
My Blog

Carolyn
The Boss

Re: STUCK!! with my family tree

Postby Carolyn » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:48 am

Hmm not sure - do you have any thing else?

have you got her on the 1901 census?
I guess you think she was married before 1911 so can't find her on that census?
where was she born?

I had a quick look and found a record making her maiden name Hutchings or do you think that is her previous married name?

Have you tried searching with her name mispelt ie Hutchin

There is this site that is sometime easier to use:
http://www.freebmd.org.uk
BTW you can also see her maiden name on the birth record of Stanley on Ancestry

Edit:sorry just reread you post I thought you meant her previous marriage - not her previous life!
I have had a search for her by her maiden name and not found anything yet :(

LizG

Postby LizG » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:51 am

I am presuming you don't know Rebecca's maiden name and so this is how I went about it.

I searched on Ancestry for the marriage of Herbert Watkinson in 1912 in Edmonton, Middlesex. This showed that a Herbert married a Hutchings. I then went onto the Freebmd website and searched again for Herbert but did not put in a location or a spouse name. I used the dates from March 1911 to Dec 1912 to give a slightly wider selection and it pulled up quite a few results from around the country. It gave me several entries from around the country but only one from Edmonton. Look at the attached image for the results; I then clicked on the number 644 to the right of Edmonton and it then pulled up more information about marriages in the March quarter in 1912 in Edmonton. See the other image attached. This shows Rebecca's maiden name.

You can then go back onto Ancestry and start searching for her with a maiden name, perhaps the birth records or the 1911 census.

Does that get you over your first hurdle?
Attachments
Capture 1.JPG
Capture 2.JPG

Sue

Postby Sue » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:27 pm

Sorry yes I have her maiden name

Hutchings - I have been searching both Hutchings and Watkinson

mainly on Ancestory

There are very few Rebeccas and even when I search under Rebecca Watkinson she never uses another name or initial

I am off to look again

Thank-you
Sue xxx
Where does the time go?

My Gallery
My Blog

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:29 pm

so I guess you don't know her birth place?

Sue

Postby Sue » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:49 pm

I think what I need is marriage Cert / birth cert or something that tells me her parents name so I can prove who they are

I know once she was married she lived in Malden Road St Pancras - its prior to that I cannot prove anything

I am looking at the 1891 and 1901 census

suggesting Rebecca was born in 1888 maybe in Walthamstow

Parents could be Ebenezer and Martha - however its a best guess

and now I need lunch cant believe its lunch time where has the morning gone :lol:
Sue xxx
Where does the time go?

My Gallery
My Blog

CRAFT-DAFT-MUM

Postby CRAFT-DAFT-MUM » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:54 pm

Hi
Did she have a middle name and use that?
I've been doing my tree for a while and some people are a mystery, I have sometimes found that for some reason some people have been recorded by their middle name first, also sometimes surnames have been mis-spelt or wrongly input when transcribed to the web making them difficult to find too.

Good luck

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:59 pm

this forum is good for help:

http://www.rootschat.com

So the 1901 census is a guess for you? I would get the brother and sisters and see if the parents end up back with them - it often happens.

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:07 pm

I can see a birth record for West ham of that date - 1888, and that is the reg district of Walthamstow:
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/dist ... 20ham.html

Also can get the school record Moreland Street School (0388) opened 1877, Moreland Primary Schools from 1951 parent as Ebenezer 164 Central Street and he is an engine driver.

I guess you may have this already now.

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:24 pm

If it is that family a sister went to Ontario and died in 1974, so maybe the family know this, an would confirm you are on the right tree?

I also quickly added to ancestry to see if it works and note that the 1861 census is hutchenson but he is marked as a fireman - this means he stoked the engines, and you always started out as a fireman before you became a driver.

...I see he comes from ware - so just down the road :)

LizG

Postby LizG » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:38 pm

I would certainly get a copy of the marriage certificate as that will give you the name of her father. This means you won't go down a wrong path and waste time.

I would not take any notice of the fact that only the name Rebecca has been used. Sometimes people didn't give out other names if they didn't like them and weren't called bu it.

I notice in the 1911 census that there is a Dorothy R Hutchings born abt 1891, niece, birthplace St Pancras, Middx. see attached image. There is another Hutchings there also as a niece - presumably Dorothy's sister, does that name ring a bell. They must be staying with their aunt - does that name ring a bell? Both girls are with their grandmother in the 1901 census (in Bristol).

In the 1901 census I can find two Rebecca Hutchings but they were Stratford
Attachments
Capture 1.JPG

LizG

Postby LizG » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:45 pm

You could always subscribe to the Rootsweb London list and ask your questions.

http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/intl/ENG/LONDON.html

Sue

Postby Sue » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:43 pm

Thanks Ladies

where do you normally get your Marriage certificates from please

I think I need to order one as I have tried many sets of parents but at the mo cannot confirm them

I thought there should be banns I know the marriage was registered in Edmonton in 1912 should there be banns?
Sue xxx
Where does the time go?

My Gallery
My Blog

LizG

Postby LizG » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:20 pm

It might be worth trying to find out where the Edmonton Parish Registers are because if they are in somewhere you could go and enjoy as a day out then you might find your answer without getting a certificate. You could ask the London Metropolitan Archives if they hold the original registers or photocopies of them.

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/visiting-the-city/archives-and-city-history/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/default.aspx

This is quite good if you have several people to look for because you can just keep on looking or browsing in the different registers rather than ordering one certificate, waiting for it to come and then ordering another as a result of that. However you can spend an awful lot of money travelling to places and then finding it does not have exactly what you wanted. You would also probably need to get a Readers ticket which needs the usual ID taken with you

I am lucky Lewes Record Office is so close and I can keep going backwards and forwards and my friend who lives in Lewes is happy to come and do her research at the same time.

We order any certificates from the GRO at Southport. http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Remember with marriages to scrutinise the names of witnesses as there are often useful names there; maybe relatives that know of or you find out about at a later date.

LizG

Postby LizG » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:42 pm

You can do searches on Find my Past but just cannot look at the records without paying. I couldn't find any records of them in the Birth and Marriage parish records. Of course, if they were non-comformist you wouldn't find them in parish records. I once found the reason I couldn't find a marriage was because they had married in a Congregational Chapel and I got that info off the marriage certificate.

Return to “Family history”