newspaper archive

Interested in researching your family tree, some members share sites and experiences.
Carolyn
The Boss

newspaper archive

Postby Carolyn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:15 pm

Anyone used this site, the searching is a bit hit and miss as the OCR is sleepy sometimes.

Will pay and download some things one day but am disappointed that they time limit the credits.

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

LizG

Re: newspaper archive

Postby LizG » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:59 pm

I did use it once but didn't have a subscription, however a friend had a Times subscription and got me what I wanted.

Find my Past subscribers can now search the British Newspaper Archives within FMP.

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:01 pm

they do seem to have a good selection of newspapers and they are ever growing, been looking at the cornish ones so far, can see my ancestors mentioned in a lot, even from attending shows for cattle etc and winning prizes.

I thought I might have a go at find my past once my ancestry has expired, do you subscrib?

LizG

Postby LizG » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:08 pm

No, I just have an Ancestry sub.

Sue

Postby Sue » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:33 pm

Butting in here do you think FMP is better ?
Sue xxx
Where does the time go?

My Gallery
My Blog

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:45 pm

I sub a while back - must be 5 years now for 6 months - they didn't have nearly as much as they do now. They do seem to have quite a lot of parish records, and were saying that hertfordshire was on its way, and note that there isn't much around for this parish, so was going to keep watch :)

LizG

Postby LizG » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:24 pm

You can get 14 days free access by registering but make sure you take your credit card details out and cancel before the 14 days are up if you don't intend to continue. The 14 days free trial should give you a chance to see what they have on there.

Four of us from our U3A FH group are going up the the Archives at Kew next month. Never been there before.

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:09 pm

are you going with a purpose - or just a mooch about?

LizG

Postby LizG » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:36 am

On the National Archives website you can go to their new search facility called "Discovery" and put in names and they will list documents they have with that person. It gives the document reference number and you can then ask for the document or fiche/film of it. I have only just started looking but there is one for a Robert Graydon in the right sort of area in Ireland that could be a relative of my DH. I shall get the document and record the details just in case. Will be useful to keep as potential relative as you never know what you might find later. It could potentially be the father of Robert Graydon (we know his father was called Robert) who is DH's G Grandfather (think that is right and not GG Grandfather).

I need to do a lot of searching between now and end of Feb!!

It takes about 90 minutes to get there by train and fare about

craftdancer

Postby craftdancer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:13 am

Sounds fascinating Liz, I hope you find some useful information as well as having an interesting day. Do post your experience after you have been there.

Linda

Return to “Family history”