WDYTYALive

Interested in researching your family tree, some members share sites and experiences.
LizG

WDYTYALive

Postby LizG » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:00 pm

I won free tickets from Ancestry.co.uk on twitter and went to the show yesterday. I had a wonderful time, absolutely wonderful.

It is only the second time I have been but as a result of my first visit I went so much better prepared. I made a beeline for Scotlands People to get them to look up the death of my great grandmother - Success!!!! :wiggle: They then looked up the marriage of one of her daughters - Success!!!!! :wiggle: They then looked up the marriage of that great grandmothers parents or indeed their deaths or births - Fail!!! :( Oh well, it was a great result and they then gave me 30 free credits so I could download the images of the two successes. I don't buy credits to search on Scotlands people as it becomes very expensive; such a shame they dont have monthly subscriptions.

I then wet to the Ancestry stand to search for my great great Uncle's family that emigrated to New Hampshire in the late 1880's and 90s. I found a lot of records for them; census entires, marriages, births, deaths and for I got his war registration record. I also managed to look up another great great Uncles son that emigrated and again lots of records. Unfortunately I couldn't download the images and Ancestry aren't giving anything away so I had to scribble lots down and I also took lots of photos of the images displayed on the screen.

So I now have a lot of work to do updating my programme on the computer and very pleased to be able to do so. :clap: :clap:

Kath

Re: WDYTYALive

Postby Kath » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:45 pm

That sounds as if it was a really good day, Liz. Glad you got so much information.

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:37 pm

sounds like a good result. Doesn't your library have ancestry? Mine does and then I can email the images back while I am there.

Sue

Postby Sue » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:12 pm

I subscribe to Ancestry - is that what you mean? I am always happy to look up things I love it!
Sue xxx
Where does the time go?

My Gallery
My Blog

LizG

Postby LizG » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:51 pm

I have Ancestry but not the most expensive subscription that covers the World. I have the middle one so I get all of the UK and Ireland. I am on there every day and get the images. It was just the Ancestry people logged the computers in and so you couldn't download images, not even to email them home. You only had the screen, keyboard and mouse, couldn't even see the base station to use a usb stick.

We don't have Ancestry at our library, have to go through the next large town.

As these are quite distant folk from my mainine I haven't really bothered researching too much before, just checking them out when Ancestry.com has a freebie 48 hours which they do from time to time.

As I was searching on Ancestry last night I found the daughter of my Scottish great grandmother may well have gone to Canada in time for the 1920 census. I need to see if the shipping list are up on Ancestry.

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:57 pm

I didn't renew mine this year. But like you have not had the worldwide one. I think all our libraries have Ancestry now and I think also find my past.

Return to “Family history”