angel policy and copyright question

Anything to do with stamping, inks and digis.
okey-dokey

angel policy and copyright question

Postby okey-dokey » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:41 pm

I have just bought a Stamps happen stamp and the design is by Julia Hawkins.
The angel policy for Stamps happen is:
ANGEL POLICY: The only angel images are those designed by: Karen Mohr, Mildred Wyatt, Linda Grayson, Audrey Jeanne Roberts, and Nancy Cole. Most of our designers have copyright restrictions.

Does this mean that I cannot sell any cards with the stamp designed by Julia Hawkins or does it just mean that I have to print on the back of the card the designers name, or do I somehow have to ask permission from Julia Hawkins to sell cards with that stamp?
Can anyone help please?
:daze:

Sue

Postby Sue » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:43 pm

officially it does yes :wink:

I use lots of Stamps Happen stamps and sell many of my cards
Sue xxx
Where does the time go?

My Gallery
My Blog

RachelB

Postby RachelB » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:12 pm

Officially it does mean you can't sell them yes - even for charity.

Rachel
An Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator since 2008! And Lovin' It!

Stampin' Up Blog (Check it out for the specials!)
Stampin' Website

Twitter @stampingurl
Facebook

Grasshopper

Postby Grasshopper » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:22 pm

I would be very wary of selling cards with any images that aren't angel companies. Perhaps if you google the name of the designer you will get contact details. I went through a phase of only buying stamps from angel companies when I was selling cards. There's a website online that lists all the angel companies, I'll have a look through my favourites folder and see if I can find it.

Net

Postby Net » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:59 pm

I wonder how they are able to trace each and every stamped image used on cards....
If you don't know what to do with new stuff, hide it until you do!

http://caique-momma.blogspot.com/
http://totallygorjuss.blogspot.com

Valerie

Postby Valerie » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:44 pm

Net wrote:I wonder how they are able to trace each and every stamped image used on cards....

They aren't but if they did find you......

There are loads of people blatently selling copyright images I saw someone with a website selling cards with Bratz, mickey mouse etc on them.

I am too much of a chicken, I used to use wrapping paper on my cards but this is such a grey area that i stopped doing it, everything I now sell is all me :D

Vx

Grasshopper

Postby Grasshopper » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Net wrote:I wonder how they are able to trace each and every stamped image used on cards....

Obviously they can't do that, but if you had your cards on display at a craft show, you never know who's walking round! I have an over sensitive conscience that doesn't like the worry of doing something naughty!!! Also, I have designs that I would be upset if someone didn't respect my copyright. Having said that, I have to say that I have a very selective sensitive conscience, that does other naughty things without flinching!!

BeckyF

Postby BeckyF » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:54 pm

OK I understand copyright etc - so don't need lectures on it BUT

And it is a BIG BUT

If I pay sometimes up to

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:20 pm

BeckyF wrote:
And erm what are you gonna sue me for - a revenue of maybe

Debbie

Postby Debbie » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:33 pm

I very rarely sell my cards now and don't buy stamps either.

This was something that really wound me up - you find that the majority of stamp manufacturers that don't allow you to use the stamped images on cards etc for sale are usually the expensive brands.

I personally think it is all wrong - as Bex says - how many times would you use that expensive stamp for family and friends' cards before it effectively becomes useless?

Off my soapbox now - but this is something that really annoys me :-?
Debbie
xxxx

My Blog http://theshabbybungalow.blogspot.com/

Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside

Net

Postby Net » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:33 am

Exactly! I mean are they going to be at every craft fair you're at? Every little 'private' sale? I somehow doubt it....
If you don't know what to do with new stuff, hide it until you do!

http://caique-momma.blogspot.com/
http://totallygorjuss.blogspot.com

okey-dokey

Postby okey-dokey » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:15 am

Would it be against copyright if I put a sticky label on the back of the card saying who the stamp designer is - that way anyone buying the card knows I just coloured it in and did the layering and not the actual original artwork?

shirley

Postby shirley » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:43 am

I must say I am completely with Bex on this one.
IMHO why sell the stamps if you dont want people to use them over and over again.
If I made an embellishment and sold it I could hardly tell the person buying it that they couldnt put it on a card and sell it at a craft fair.

Shirley

Grasshopper

Postby Grasshopper » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:06 am

I totally agree as well, as you've said, the stamps are so expensive and I would have thought the designer would be pleased to see their image stamped in more places, as this is surely advertising for their product. It was a shock to me too when I discovered the copywrite issue - and I think if a company feels strongly about this they should sell the stamp with a clear warning.

When buying a stamp in Hobbycraft a while back I asked a member of staff what the angel policy was for that stamp company, and she had no idea what I was talking about!!!

Catnip Queen

Postby Catnip Queen » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:22 pm

I would suggest contacting the company direct and asking their opinion. I did this for one particular stamp that I wasn't sure about and dearly wanted to use on cards for sale. I only sell to friends and family and donate a percentage to charity. I mentioned all of this plus the guarantee that there would be no internet sales nor selling to retail outlets. I got a really nice reply back and I'm able to use the image, so long as I acknowledge the copyrights on the back of all HANDSTAMPED creations.

So, play fair with them and they will play fair back. I don't like the fact that some stamps I own can't be used on cards for sale, but I just don't buy from those companies any more! However, I can find different ways to use them such as on cards that I make for friends/family events, on those I'm giving away as gifts, on ATCs and the like.

CQ

Return to “Rubber Stamping”