angel policy and copyright question

Anything to do with stamping, inks and digis.
Catnip Queen

Postby Catnip Queen » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:24 pm

Grasshopper wrote:I I would have thought the designer would be pleased to see their image stamped in more places, as this is surely advertising for their product.

Other people are only going to know who the designer is, though, if you credit the stamp on the back of the card. I guess this is why some companies ask that you do this.

CQ

Helen Mc

Postby Helen Mc » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:27 pm

I emailed PSX once to ask if I could use one of their stamps to sell cards in a little shop selling children's goods & it wouldn't be more than 20 a year & they refused. I now refuse to buy anything from PSX (I know they don't do stamps anymore but they do other stuff)
It makes me so :anger:

Jan B

Postby Jan B » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:52 pm

If they want to place restrictions on how the stamp can be used then they should clearly state it, on the stamp, with contact details. It shouldn't be up to me to have to research it. I maybe have, but I don't ever remember buying a stamp that has the companies contact details on it. Anyway as I'm skint suing me would be a waste of their time and money.
Jan

Joolz2005

Postby Joolz2005 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:33 am

Jan B wrote:If they want to place restrictions on how the stamp can be used then they should clearly state it, on the stamp, with contact details. It shouldn't be up to me to have to research it. I maybe have, but I don't ever remember buying a stamp that has the companies contact details on it. Anyway as I'm skint suing me would be a waste of their time and money.

Are you aware that if they needed to provide this information on every single stamp then every stamp would cost much more to buy? As you obviously have internet acess it's really not that difficult to ask any stamp company about their angel/stamping for profit policy.

The couple of times I have emailed companies asking about their angel policy I have had nice, informative responses.

okey-dokey

Postby okey-dokey » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:02 am

I have had quite a few stamps from ebay and I have no way of knowing the maker of the stamp especially if it is from an um-mounted sheet. Maybe the shop or ebay seller should state the Angel policy of all the stamps they sell. That way we are informed before we buy and that may alter what we buy - if less people were buying the stamps with a rotten angel policy they might rethink their policy. Many people don't have access to computers and the internet so how are these people to know what a companies policy is? Would they have to write to a company before buying each stamp?
I baught quite a few stamps before I knew anything about angel policies - in fact I think I first heard about it on this forum.

BeckyF

Postby BeckyF » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:53 pm

Joolz2005 wrote:
Jan B wrote:If they want to place restrictions on how the stamp can be used then they should clearly state it, on the stamp, with contact details. It shouldn't be up to me to have to research it. I maybe have, but I don't ever remember buying a stamp that has the companies contact details on it. Anyway as I'm skint suing me would be a waste of their time and money.

Are you aware that if they needed to provide this information on every single stamp then every stamp would cost much more to buy? As you obviously have internet acess it's really not that difficult to ask any stamp company about their angel/stamping for profit policy.

The couple of times I have emailed companies asking about their angel policy I have had nice, informative responses.

Reference cost - actually it would probably not even cost them more than a few pence per stamp!! All stamps have either direct printing on them or a printed label - to add a couple of lines of text is here nor there from a cost point of view ..................

Bex

Net

Postby Net » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:18 pm

I agree with Bex - it would cost a stamp compnay next to nothing to stick a small label staing their copyright issues onto a stamp. So if they want to come and count what I've stamped they're welcome.
If you don't know what to do with new stuff, hide it until you do!

http://caique-momma.blogspot.com/
http://totallygorjuss.blogspot.com

shirley

Postby shirley » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:31 pm

completely agree with Bex and Net

Shirley

Tracey

Postby Tracey » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:59 pm

We shouldn't have to ask. Rubber stamps are expensive.The more we use them to more other crafters see them & buy them. How many of us had any idea of any copyright issues when we 1st started. It would cost us all more if we had to add this info onto the back of every card we produced. I agree over there is also no reason why they can't include this info on the stamp anyway, they add the name ect. they should say not for retail use of more than x amount of copies ect.
Opps, have just realised this was what Bex had already said, I skimmed it & just thought sticker.:roll: I had picked up on Nets post ( ok, I w3as trying to eaty a cream blueberry muffin to )
I am sure we all follow the Hand stamped bit anyway.I see no difference in useing for a atc, & selling for charity. Seems to me some company just want to be plain awkward.
I am not saying the designers shouldn't get any credit, they should do on the stamps themselves, but the more popular a stamp becomes, the more they sell & as I saidf before they arn't cheap, alse we don't just do a stamp. we also have to design the rest of the card, so that has nothing to do with the original artist. for e.g ig we do a collage with several stamps there is no way we should be expected to credit them all.
Gallery pics.
My Gallery
My Blogspot
challenges.
2-20Pts, 6-10Pts, 13-10Pts

Grasshopper

Postby Grasshopper » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:28 am

Does anyone know of anyone whose been reprimanded by any of the stamp companies for breaching copyright?

Sue

Postby Sue » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:18 am

NO and I have been 'at it' for 15 years

there was a rumour once but nothing ever proved..It been a HOT topic for so many years

I have over 2500 stamps and I USE THEM!!!! and I sell my cards at loads of places

The stamp companies are VERY wrong and IMHO are taking the P :-?
Sue xxx
Where does the time go?

My Gallery
My Blog

Joolz2005

Postby Joolz2005 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:52 am

Catnip Queen wrote:I would suggest contacting the company direct and asking their opinion. I did this for one particular stamp that I wasn't sure about and dearly wanted to use on cards for sale. I only sell to friends and family and donate a percentage to charity. I mentioned all of this plus the guarantee that there would be no internet sales nor selling to retail outlets. I got a really nice reply back and I'm able to use the image, so long as I acknowledge the copyrights on the back of all HANDSTAMPED creations.

I did the same and got a very similar reply (it wasn't a Dolly Mamas stamp by any chance?).

I don't like it when companies say you can't use their stamps on items you sell, but I also understand it. It's simply a copyright issue. I can pay a lot of money for a book, or a dvd and I can have the pleasure of reading/watching, and I can even share them with my family and friends. I can't however, make copies of them to sell.

Once I learnt about Angel policies, I did make a point of never buying stamps from companies that don't have one, or where it is ambigious. I also distinctly remember watching a TV shopping channel very early one morning and completely falling in love with some stamps. As they were being sold in sets, it would have cost me around

Catnip Queen

Postby Catnip Queen » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:01 pm

Nope, mine was a 'Stampers Anonymous' one. I think if you play fair with them, they'll play fair with you. And if not, well hit 'em where it hurts and don't buy their stamps any more. I have a little list that I take shopping with me!

CQ

cazzytoo

Re: angel policy and copyright question

Postby cazzytoo » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:08 am

okey-dokey wrote:I have just bought a Stamps happen stamp and the design is by Julia Hawkins.
The angel policy for Stamps happen is:
ANGEL POLICY: The only angel images are those designed by: Karen Mohr, Mildred Wyatt, Linda Grayson, Audrey Jeanne Roberts, and Nancy Cole. Most of our designers have copyright restrictions.

Does this mean that I cannot sell any cards with the stamp designed by Julia Hawkins or does it just mean that I have to print on the back of the card the designers name, or do I somehow have to ask permission from Julia Hawkins to sell cards with that stamp?
Can anyone help please?
:daze:

I just bought a Stamps Happen stamp, cost me a fortune in postage from the USA. I normally check out the angel policy before buying these days, I am collecting them on my blog, and have been selling off Inkadinkado stamps which I can't use on cards I sell in the shop, only individual bespoke cards where the customer picks out the individual stamps and K &Co papers etc.

I have contacted various companies who have given me permission, where it says contact them for permission!

Could you please give me the link to Stamps Happen and their policy? I can't find it.

cazzytoo

Re:

Postby cazzytoo » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:11 am

Grasshopper wrote:Does anyone know of anyone whose been reprimanded by any of the stamp companies for breaching copyright?

Someone contacted me (you can see the comment left on my angel policy page on my blog) to warn me that they had been reported to Hallmark for using DoCraft images. They were asked to take down their hand decorated notebook from the website they were selling on by Hallmark. When they contacted Hallmark about it, and Hallmark went to look at the offending article they complemented her on it and told her she could keep it there for sale.

So yes people will report other people.

Return to “Rubber Stamping”