Slow cooker

A section for those other popular hobbies that we have....recipes, gardening, reading & family history.
LizG

Slow cooker

Postby LizG » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:11 am

I got a slow cooker for Christmas and now I need to find some recipes online. Any good sites you can recommend?

Kath

Re: Slow cooker

Postby Kath » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:37 pm

Can't recommend any good sites but I hope you enjoy your slow cooker. I used to use mine a lot. Not so much now-a-days but a really good thing to have.

DingleDel

Postby DingleDel » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:33 pm

I just tend to throw whatever is handy into mine as I go along.

Pork loins, onions, garlic, stock and a few spices. Sometimes I add a bit of veg but normally I cook that separately.

Sausage casserole, a tin of baked beans, tinned chopped tomatoes or passata, stock.

Yesterday I cooked a lovely lamb stew with the left overs of the leg of lamb from Sunday. Just the lamb, onions, stock, a tin of chopped tomatoes.

I do tend to add a handful of lentils to most of my slow cooker dishes, a bit of hidden goodness!

I have just started adding some ideas to my pinterest page.
Adele.

http://www.dillydallydingle.blogspot.com
http://www.pinterest.com/dingledel/

Stampin Up! Demonstrator for Medway, Kent and wherever life takes me!

LizG

Postby LizG » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:30 pm

DingleDel wrote:I just tend to throw whatever is handy into mine as I go along.

Pork loins, onions, garlic, stock and a few spices. Sometimes I add a bit of veg but normally I cook that separately.

Sausage casserole, a tin of baked beans, tinned chopped tomatoes or passata, stock.

Yesterday I cooked a lovely lamb stew with the left overs of the leg of lamb from Sunday. Just the lamb, onions, stock, a tin of chopped tomatoes.

I do tend to add a handful of lentils to most of my slow cooker dishes, a bit of hidden goodness!

I have just started adding some ideas to my pinterest page.

Thank you

craftdancer

Postby craftdancer » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:43 pm

I do much the same as Adele with my slow cooker - I just chuck in meat, veg and sauce/gravey etc depending on what I've got in the house. I also use it to cook whole chickens, and on occasion very large joints of meat. Sadly, I don't have room to keep it out all the time so I have to clear space and then get it out of the store room and set it up, so it doesn't get as much use as it should.

Linda

LizG

Postby LizG » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:36 am

I want to wait to try it until a day when I am in all day so I can keep an eye on it whilst it cooks a I would hate it to cook dry. I am amazed that you can cook cake, bread etc in it.

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:50 pm

I personally think chicken can be overcooked in it if left on all day. But more robust meats like beef and lamb are good.

I have also cooked the pulled pork - waitrose used to sell a should joint with already rubbed, I would slice up an onion and put the meet on top. Then 30 mins before ready to eat would shred it and add bbq sauce.

there are recipes around - lovely US style with slaw and buns or wedges

here is one - but note that they add chicken stock
http://www.chow.com/recipes/30356-easy- ... ulled-pork

mulled wine is lovely in there, and years ago I did rice pudding.

Return to “Recipes, gardening & reading corner”