basket

Share your creations to help inspire others.
kenspeckle

basket

Postby kenspeckle » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:57 pm

Went on a basket-making course and amazed that I actually managed to make something that looked like a real basket :lol:
The first stage was so slow I thought I'd never get there, but then it just grew and grew! A bit big for the bread-basket I thought I might manage!! Maybe I'll do another course next year :)
We went out foraging for a variety of stuff in the woods on the first afternoon and got quite a lot of different coloured & textured branches to use.
The main structure is made with two types of willow which is bought specially prepared and I incorporated some ash (thick green) and larch (knobbly with a few cones - the needles will drop) to give a rustic look. It needs a little bit of trimming to tidy it up now that it has completely dried out.
I also managed to start a wreath which I haven't finished - need to take my secateurs out one morning when I'm walking the dog and get some more birch twigs!
Attachments
WP_001116.jpg

Aisles

Re: basket

Postby Aisles » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:35 pm

That looks great and is so useful. What a brilliant job

Kath

Postby Kath » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:32 pm

That's really impressive, Clare.

Carolyn
The Boss

Postby Carolyn » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:41 pm

love it, was it hard on the hands?

I would love to have a go at that, saw some great courses when we went to Rutland water in the summer, not seen any around here though.

DingleDel

Postby DingleDel » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:48 pm

Oh wow, really great work. Looks quite daunting to make. xx
Adele.

http://www.dillydallydingle.blogspot.com
http://www.pinterest.com/dingledel/

Stampin Up! Demonstrator for Medway, Kent and wherever life takes me!

Melis

Postby Melis » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:53 pm

I think it is well above my skill set. :o It looks awesome.

Melis

kenspeckle

Postby kenspeckle » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:31 pm

Well I would have said the same Melis, and after the first day I really only had the base made (we did spend some time gathering stuff in the woods though) I honestly thought my attempt would be awful, but the base was probably the hardest bit - a lot of different stages which we had to be shown one at a time. Teacher was great though. It wasn't until the third day that I suddenly thought 'wow it looks like a real basket!!'

She does some residential courses Carolyn :wink: Fortunately she is only 15 minutes' drive form me, but we had someone from Birmingham came who couldn't find anything similar near her. Another couple were fairly local and the rest came from across Scotland. It was a fun group, lots of laughs and we were well fed with homemade soup, baking etc all day long!

Some bits were a bit hard on the hands and some bits took a bit of concentration to get your fingers to go (and stay!) in the right places. I suppose it's about muscle memory and once you have made a few baskets it probably becomes second nature, but a lot of it felt unnatural to start with.
This is her website, but the calendar isn't updated for next years' courses yet. http://specialbranchbaskets.com/
She's on FB too.

Return to “Show and tell your completed projects”