Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Coming Events:              

Board index » Chat » Recipes, gardening & reading corner » TV, films & books

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Lady Chatterley's lover
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:18 pm 
The Boss

This is the book from our book club and tbh I just don;t think it is me. I have yet to look at the main book - have looked at the synopsis and the guide and other things - and it just doesn't appeal....has anyone read it?

Crafts by Carolyn - for loads of projects, tips and freebies
My Blog & Pinterest
Facebook & My Gallery

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:23 am 

A looooong time ago but yes, I've read it. I think you have to kind of get past the "old fashioned" language. The story itself is actually very good (and the sex is minimal, despite its reputation!). It's fascinating to see the strength of the influence that social class had at that time.

My blog
I design for Cornish Heritage Farms

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:37 am 

My dad (a very straight-laced Calvinist) had a copy of it on his bedside table ...... among lots of other books. He would not have agreed with what they did but ....

I think he wanted to read it for himself rather than relying on the reports of the court case in the newpapers, and it is a classic. It was on the radio a few years back and I listened to it. I read another book by the same author at school (needless to say, it wasn't as steamy!)

I think it was shocking on three counts:

- the class aspect (given that it was written, I think, in the 20s, that would have been quite strong as a shock factor);

- the descriptions (in the days when the most mention of sex was only ever a quiet and possibly rather hazy word from mother on the day before your wedding) which are quite explicit;

- the fact that she was married.

It probably got a reputation because it was originally banned, so it would have grown in the telling between 1925 or so and 1960 when it was released for publication.

Things really loosened up in the two world wars - after the second, servants were confined to the aristocracy (and there were many fewer even there) whereas before ordinary middle class people (like my grandad) would have had a maid. Today that sounds terribly posh, but was nothing unusual. The second world war also loosened up people's sex lives - eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die, maybe?

My mum says that whereas my grandfather had had to wait until he was qualified as a doctor and could support his wife before he could think of marrying her (they were distant cousins and childhood sweethearts) he asked no such thing of my father. People were just glad to have got through the war and have any sort of roof over their heads, given the bomb damage.

Medieval German

Blog at: http://www.anntiqueantics.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Chat » Recipes, gardening & reading corner » TV, films & books