Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Coming Events:              

Board index » Chat » Recipes, gardening & reading corner » TV, films & books

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:22 pm 
The Boss

I like murder/mysteries and girlie ones

We have just had this one for our book club:

It was a different sort of mystery a bit like the De Vinci code - it was set mainly in Cornwall

Crafts by Carolyn - for loads of projects, tips and freebies
Pinterest
Facebook & Twitter
My Gallery

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:54 pm 

Was it good? Robert Goddard books are sometimes very good and other times a bit boring, I find.

Kath's Blog

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:09 pm 

I don't read as much as I used to, but my tastes are pretty eclectic (I've even been known to read instructions :o ) I tend towards Sci-fi & Fantasy, or books inspired by nature. I've not long finished Wildwood, A journey through trees.

We've just started a reading circle, and I got to choose the first book, Neil Gaiman -The Graveyard Book.
Not as spooky as it sounds, it would be suitable for older kids as well as grown-ups.

To be trusted is a greater compliment than to be loved.

http://freebird795.blogspot.com/

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:32 pm 

Carolyn wrote:
It was a different sort of mystery a bit like the De Vinci code - it was set mainly in Cornwall

I like the sound of that Carolyn, i loved the Da Vinci Code.

I am just about to start a new book that Maddy bought me called "Brida" by my favourite author Paulo Coehlo.

He has done lots of books, "The Alchemist" is one of the most famous i think. His books really make you think about life, they are very spiritual and are re-read time and time again here.

Another series of books i adore is "The Pirates!" adventures series by Gideon Defoe.

Funny as you like! If you've been reading books that are a bit deep, these are a wonderful escape. They are about a pirate capatain and his crew who are, basicaly rubbish at being pirates. The adventures they get up to are set back in the pirate days, yet have lots of modern humour included. (i wish i could describe how funny these are), but if you have any sense of humour, you will most definately smile at these books.

Niel Gaiman is another author i love. "Neverwhere" is my favourite book by him so far.

It's about another world called London Below, where people end up who have "fallen between the cracks of society" in the London Above that we know. It follows a guy who helps a young girl and is dragged into the world below. Once you've read this, i bet you don't look at the sites of London in the same way again.

Other than those, i'm enjoying going through The Chronicles of Narnia again with the girls, i read that to them at bedtime.

I'm open to offers really as far as books go, if someone recommends a good one, i'll give it a go. I still have "Life of Pi" to finish, and The Celestine Prophecy series....so enough to get on with. :-?

Thanks again for this thread and section Carolyn, always good to know what is out there. I think i've said before, after leaving school, until the age of 28 i had not read a single work of fiction :oops: , everything i read was for qualifications, reference, non-fiction etc. Then whilst working at a school i picked up one of the boys Harry Potter books.....and never looked back! :)

Calv.

Rotty's blog: Tails From The Sewer

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:34 pm 

Freebird wrote:

We've just started a reading circle, and I got to choose the first book, Neil Gaiman -The Graveyard Book.
Not as spooky as it sounds, it would be suitable for older kids as well as grown-ups.

Wow i've not read or even seen that Neil Gaman book Nigel, might have to get that for me and the girls they love anything to do with "spookyness". :)

Calv.

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:56 pm 
The Boss

Kath wrote:
Was it good? Robert Goddard books are sometimes very good and other times a bit boring, I find.

it did get a bit complicated at times as it did go back in history, but was a clever story.

Pinterest
Facebook & Twitter
My Gallery

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:47 pm 

I read Shadow of the Wind a couple of years back and really enjoyed it. It's set in Barcelona and is a kind of mystery with a bit of romance thrown in. Very atmospheric and intriguing.
I recently was rushing through Borders and saw a new book by the same author, but didn't pay attention to the title and now I can't remember it :doh Will have to go back and find it when I have more time!

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:01 pm 

Neverwhere was brilliant. I have the 'Author's preferred text' version. Apparently it was re-written for the American market as they didn't understand some of the humour (especially characters who crack jokes when facing imminent death). Another favourite is American Gods - very deep and thought provoking. He's also done some good work with Terry Pratchett.

To be trusted is a greater compliment than to be loved.

http://freebird795.blogspot.com/

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:02 pm 

kenspeckle wrote:
I recently was rushing through Borders and saw a new book by the same author, but didn't pay attention to the title and now I can't remember it :doh Will have to go back and find it when I have more time!

Here you go Clare..."The Angels Game". Would it be that one?

http://www.carlosruizzafon.co.uk/

Calv.

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:06 pm 

Freebird wrote:
Neverwhere was brilliant. I have the 'Author's preferred text' version. Apparently it was re-written for the American market as they didn't understand some of the humour (especially characters who crack jokes when facing imminent death). Another favourite is American Gods - very deep and thought provoking. He's also done some good work with Terry Pratchett.

Thats the version i have Nigel, black front with a rat on it? I bought the Neverwhere tv series after reading the book, it wasn't a patch on the book. Very 70's low budget type setup, and acting too, like those early Dr Who shows.

I got about a quarter way through American Gods and got sidetracked, really should get back to it. I think thats the one about the guy who comes out of prison isn't it, he does coin tricks?

Calv.

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:01 am 

oh dear lowering the tone here

I adore Sophia Kinsellaa so funny all the shop a holix books

Jane Green and Adelle Parks are also fab

and for a more serious read Penny Vincenzi

I managed 7 books on holiday a combination of the above and Helen Black an author local to me writes about her life as a solicitor and meaty issues follow!! I also read Martina Cole although she has become predicatable

Erica James and Liz Tucculo finished my line up

I can recommend them ALL

My Gallery
My Blog

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:46 am 
The Boss

Just got a Sophie one from the library yesterday, but have another from the book club as we had two this time and have swapped...I can't remember the tile - but it is a US one about a bounty hunter.

Pinterest
Facebook & Twitter
My Gallery

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:09 am 

I like James Patterson books and Nora Roberts.I also like the JDRobb books which are really Nora Roberts ones too. She writes about a police woman in New York in the future.. about 2050 .Didn't think it would be my sort of book at all but they are brilliant (I think!)
I liked all the Desmond Bagley books, Alistair Maclean and loads of other authors whose names escape me for the moment.
I buy loads of books but I am also a frequent library visitor and have been since I was 7 years old. :lol:

Kath's Blog

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:50 pm 

My reading is quite eclectic. I read a lot of fiction my favs being Robin Hobb, JD Robb and Christine Feehan. I like paranormal, romance and books that make me think. :couch:

I am also a fan of Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Dad poor Dad series of books, which teach about changing your attitude to your money and what you do with it as well as your life goals. I was doing really well until I started crafting again :oops:

http://craftilysugarbrown.blogspot.com/

Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:40 pm 
The Boss

I have just read the other book for the book club:

I must admit although I watch US tv films/shows I prefer a British book! But it was quite a good read - funny in parts, probably wouldn't botherwith another in the series tho!

Pinterest
Facebook & Twitter
My Gallery

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Chat » Recipes, gardening & reading corner » TV, films & books