Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Coming Events:              

Board index » Chat » Recipes, gardening & reading corner » TV, films & books

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:07 pm 

After Jack's induction day at his new school yesterday he has a lovely long list of suggested reading! He was in his element, made up a spreadsheet and colour coded those books he had already read.

We now have all these book ideas for him and I feel inspired to read again too. I never make time for me but it would be nice to start! :wink:

Funny I had been thinking about ideas for him and thinking back to my school days and what books I'd read then; To Kill a Mockingbird kept coming to my mind, which was funny when I logged in here and saw a thread about it! I was thinking of My Family and other Animals too and that is on Jack's list.

Do you buy your books new or used or do you tend to get them from the library? What was that site with second hand books...Green something?

http://www.dillydallydingle.blogspot.com
http://www.pinterest.com/dingledel/

Stampin Up! Demonstrator for Medway, Kent and wherever life takes me!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:28 pm 

I do all three. I buy books new, I buy them from charity shops and I borrow from the library. i am an avid reader and always have a book on the go. I borrow 7 books from the library when I go..about every 3 weeks.

Kath's Blog

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:33 pm 
The Boss

I get a lot of mine from the charity stall for 50p, or get them from library, also from places like the Works. Generally not managed to find much for Owen second hand, so have bought new. But do get them from the library, and can order them for free for him as he is a child so use that service a lot.

He can also get books from the school library - but he forgets to take them back and has to pay fines, so I prefer to use our library so I can renew on line and take back myself.

Owen likes the Muchamore books, and also Jack Higgins is writing for teenagers. He is not a reader though - I have to encourage him big time!

Crafts by Carolyn - for loads of projects, tips and freebies
My Blog & Pinterest
Facebook & My Gallery

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:08 am 

I have always been a great reader (that's my "me" time when I go to bed!), but I don't think I have ever bought a fiction book new for myself. I have occasionally bought used books from charity shops/car boots/markets and second hand bookshops, but I rarely read fiction books a second time. My husband, on the other hand, will read fiction books time and time again so often buys new.

Linda

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:10 am 

I usually buy new because I will re-read something if I like it. If I don't like it, it gets recycled via friends/family/etc

To be trusted is a greater compliment than to be loved.

http://freebird795.blogspot.com/

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:52 am 

I set up a swops table at work which has proved very popular, you don't have to donate a book to take one but most people do, it is also used to swop cd's and dvd's and those free ones which come with daily newspapers :)

If there are any books which have "done the rounds" I take those to our local homeless shelter as they are very glad to add them to their library.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:01 am 

I am a terrible squirrel where books are concerned. I have them stashed everywhere! Amazon is a danger zone ....

as are charity shops, and the local convenience store that has books for £2.99. I don't use the library much (it's right the other end of town) because I always forget to renew them and can't get used to the horrendous fines they slap on you - mentally I still feel a penny a day is what it should be .... with disasterous results! They only let you renew online once or twice, after that you have to go in in person.

Medieval German

Blog at: http://www.anntiqueantics.blogspot.com/

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:54 pm 
The Boss

we do swap books around at the book club too. I used to keep all books - but it is too impractical and I rarely re read fiction - so once they are read I give them away.

Crafts by Carolyn - for loads of projects, tips and freebies
My Blog & Pinterest
Facebook & My Gallery

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:43 pm 

I buy new, get books from the library and from other people. If I get a new fiction one I tend to pass it once I've read it - either to a friend, or more commonly at work. I also get other people's passed to me - probably have about 50 still to read stacked in my office at the moment. My workmates from other departments sometimes borrow from these too.

Ebooks I buy, but once my library has downloadable Epub ones as opposed to PDFs you have to read on the computer, I will borrow ebooks from the library too.

I like to keep my craft & cookery books though, so tend to buy these new and keep them.

My Blog
My Gallery

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:09 pm 

I would be lost without the library. Our library doesn't charge fines for being late if you are a pensioner (which I am ). They will also get books in if you order them. I have just ordered a book which isn't published until Aug 1st and they will let me know when they have it.

Kath's Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Board index » Chat » Recipes, gardening & reading corner » TV, films & books