Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Coming Events:              

Board index » Chat » Recipes, gardening & reading corner » TV, films & books

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:13 pm 
The Boss

Did you love to read as a child? what did you read?

I loved Enid Blyton - I remember the 'of adventure' series.

Other books that stuck in my mind

younger stuff
five children and it
stig of the dump
the borrowers
my naughty little sister

then when I was a bit older
Watership Down

To kill a Mockingbird

Crafts by Carolyn - for loads of projects, tips and freebies
My Blog & Pinterest
Facebook & My Gallery

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:52 pm 

I was an avid reader as a child, I still am! I read anything I could get my hands on. I remember Enid Blyton books , Black Beauty (Anna Sewell) , Little Women (Louisa Alcott)... the list could go on and on. I had to wait until I was 7 to join the library and I can remember being so excited when I became 7.I had to wait each week until my Mum could take me, but once I was old enough to get there myself I went at least twice a week. I am still a member of the library but go about once every fortnight . However, I can get as many books as I want now. :lol:

Kath's Blog

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:08 am 

I used to love Enid Blyton's Famous Five and The Secret Seven and like Carolyn, The Borrowers too. Dad used to get books for me and once when i was ill and he got some, I read them in a day and when he took them back they said I would have to wait until the next day to get more out.

I also got into reading biography type books but the only ones I can remember were ones written by someone called George Sava who I seem to remember was a plastic surgeon :o

Now, sadly I hardly ever read at home as I don't seem to be able to relax enough to do so - there are always jobs to be done - sad isn't it. :( When we used to go away while we were both working I could just lie in the shade and read for England - mainly I suppose what people call chic lit but also Robert Goddard and some of the local authors. A real find though has been talking books - first of all on casettes but now our local library does them on MP3 players and I listen to those whenever I am walking anywhere. I have just read/listened too Victoria Hislops The Island. It's a lovely story. When I retired I bought an Ipod whith the money I was given but have never got the hang of loading talking book CD's on to it. I can do it in theory but in practice the chapters get all jumbled up. I really ought to persevere or go in to the Apple shop.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:41 am 

Secret Seven and Malory Towers.

Then when I was a teenager I didn't really read anything. However I get depressed if I don't have a book to read now. I'm in the middle of reading Jilly Cooper's Jump! Enjoying so far but haven't had the time to sit and read a big chunk in one go so I keep getting the people mixed up. Luckily she puts a character list in the front for me. :wink:

Melis

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:28 pm 

I used to get bad tonsillitis, so read a LOT! Anything I could lay my hands on! I remember Noddy (very early on) a pictorial history series, Famous Five, Swallows and Amazons, biographies, Scotland's Story (I knew Scottish history before I knew English and I had to get to AL to realise Flodden was Henry VIII consolidating his borders, probably before fighting the French!) a series of ballet stories when I was about 10 (Veronica at the Wells?). Charles I was my hero when I was about 7, and I can't help being a Stuart sympathizer, even though I've learnt enough proper history to know they were a pretty disasterous lot. I still have the Arthur Mee Children's Encylopedia I loved to look at (probably my mum had it before me, so it must date from 1925 or so). Around 11 or 12 I read The Dam Busters and Reach for the Sky - all the originals, before the PC lot doctored them. Lots are products of their time, but you learn to take account of that - I hate it when they doctor a text; leave it as it was written at the time and put a footnote if you must.

Medieval German

Blog at: http://www.anntiqueantics.blogspot.com/

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:56 pm 

Noddy and Famous Five for me too when I was very little. And I also had a book of nursery rhymes.

When I got a bit older I got into historical novels - mainly Jean Plaidy and occasionally Georgette Heyer. I also read children's classics like What Katy Did and Black Beauty.

Like Kath, I was a very frequent visitor to the local library as soon as I was old enough to join (I still am and have been today to renew my reading supply).

Linda

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:55 am 

The Folk of the Faraway Tree - Enid Blyton

I loved how they went up the tree to a different land. I should read it again as an adult.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:24 am 
The Boss

Nicola H wrote:

I loved how they went up the tree to a different land. I should read it again as an adult.

when Mylo is a bit older you can read it to him! DH is a really good 'reader' and one year on holiday we read Enid Blyton in the evenings Jackanory style as Owen just doesn't 'do' reading. She always ended the chapter on a cliff hanger and gets the reader wanting more :)

My Blog & Pinterest
Facebook & My Gallery

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:58 pm 

Me too - Enid Blyton, Secret 7, Famous 5, Brear Rabbit and friends etc.

But one book that really sticks in my mind was called Tistou of the Green Fingers. It was such a beautiful story - even at 7 or 8 years old it had a big effect on me. It was about a small boy who had the gift of making seeds grow really quickly and the resulting flowers would create so much good and happiness. Tistou was never ill, and his best friend was a small roan pony. I won't tell you the ending - it was so sad and beautiful and made me cry each time I read the book.

I must try and find a copy - I think it was written by French author.

Charliecat.x

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:58 pm 

Like most of you I read a lot of Enid Blyton - Famous 5, Secret 7, Mr Galliano's circus etc.

As an adult I got into Georgette Heyer' s books and still read them occasionally. I love reading but as I can't put a book down once I start it I usually only read on holiday these days. Of course, when I retire.............

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:26 pm 

This brings back memories! :lol: When we lived up in London Mum and Dad used to have a bookcase in their hallway and I would sit there, under a huge skylight reading. There were lots of what I call classics of the time books, Black Beauty, What katy Did, Enid Blyton.

Funny but I can't remember much about them now, too far back! LOL I do remember a few books I read for school inn my teens. To Kill a Mocking Bird was one of my favs and I keep saying I will read that again, still haven't got a copy though and it's not on my library's stock list. I have however gone as far as getting trilogy of My Family and other animals....I remember laughing so much of the antics in Corfu(?)

Jack loves his reading, he is a true little bookworm, which is a great way for him to relax after cricket, or school work and also a way to prise him off of his laptop. :-? He loved The Folk of the Faraway Tree when he came across it in Junior School, in fact we got him the other books too...I have never read them...should I?

http://www.dillydallydingle.blogspot.com
http://www.pinterest.com/dingledel/

Stampin Up! Demonstrator for Medway, Kent and wherever life takes me!

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:58 pm 

I used to read the Jennings books, too. When I had that person doing the garden (or, more accurately, NOT doing it) I had an irresistable urge to yell: "You silly little girl!", just because she was so very silly, and wondered where I had got the idea from. I realised it was the "You silly little boy!" from the Jennings books that I was remembering.

Medieval German

Blog at: http://www.anntiqueantics.blogspot.com/

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:09 am 

I quite enjoyed reading as a child .. my favourite was Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame.
Carole

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:49 pm 
The Boss

Love - this thread - anyone want to start another like this on reminiscing?

My Blog & Pinterest
Facebook & My Gallery

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:54 am 

Enid Blyton's Mr Pink Whistle and Mr Meddles Muddles :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Board index » Chat » Recipes, gardening & reading corner » TV, films & books