Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Coming Events:              

Board index » Helping » Other crafts » Plastic and Clay

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:39 am 

Hi all,

Hope you've had a good week.

A while ago I was asked to make a Fimo cake topper for a childs birthday cake, I turned the offer down thinking that using Fimo on a cake wasn't a good idea but since turning the offer down I've come across *loads* of cake toppers made from polymer clay/Fimo!

So, what's the low-down on this? Is it considered safe or not?

Only reason I was reluctant to do it was because I'd read that Fimo shouldn't come into contact with food, but wasn't sure if that ment un-baked Fimo or baked Fimo, maybe baked Fimo is ok!

Does anyone know for sure?

There's alot of people selling these toppers, very professional looking ones which are fantastic right down to people having a go on ebay also professional ones on ebay.

Thanks if you can shed any light or point me in the right direction for finding out the relevant info (I've had a bit of a search this morning). I'd be very interested for future reference. If you'd prefer not to post on forum could you private mail me. I'd be very very grateful.

Hopefully soon I'll be at the stage where I can share any my knowledge with others, I feel like I'm asking lots but not answering many, this forum seems quiet!

Better go, people want feeding, LOL.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:44 am 

Personally I would turn down the idea to put fimo on a cake too - I believe once it is baked the fumes have gone and it is non-toxic, but I wouldn't want to risk it. You could use sugar paste (or whatever it's called) instead though, cos I think you mould it in a similar way.

Lisa

My Blog
My Gallery

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:04 pm 
The Boss

Is there something that you could put them on that will act as a barrier between it and the cake. A piece of clear plastic?

Crafts by Carolyn - for loads of projects, tips and freebies
My Blog & Pinterest
Facebook & My Gallery

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:42 pm 

I think the point of the Fimo ones is that you can keep them as a long-term keepsake (sugarpaste tends to go icky over time). As Carolyn suggests, I'd mount the finished topper on something that would stand between it and the cake. You can get the silver cake boards in tiny sizes - one of those might do it if you can't get rigid plastic shapes of a suitable sort. Or you could make a sugar paste 'plaque' that could just be thrown away after the event.

My blog
I design for Cornish Heritage Farms

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:58 pm 

You are correct in saying that they shouldn't be put directly onto the cake. I do both fimo and sugarcraft, and when I have used fim on a cake I have used the very small thin cake boards you can buy. If it would look out of place as it is (usually silver colour) then you can cover it in a layer of sugarpaste to match the cake.

If you get any future requests, I would accept them, but make it clear that they shouldn't come into direct contact with the cake.

Kathie

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:20 pm 

Thanks very much to you all.

You've given me some great ideas. I wouldn't be happy putting the topper directly onto the cake if it wasn't 100% safe. I don't know why I didn't think about some sort of base but that'd definately solve the problem.

I don't know what I'd do without this place, its fab, its great being able to come to place like this and ask all these questions.

Post subject: its okay...
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:12 pm 

Hi,

I make cake toppers, and I have found that Polyclay isn't toxic according to Staedtler (the UK distributor of Fimo), so it's OK to put directly on to the cake.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:48 pm 

I have been making toppers out of Fimo for some time now and as long as they are coated at least twice by a protective sealer, they are fine and there is no danger to them being used on cakes.

If anybody is still a bit sceptic about this, you could always stand them on a piece of icing or egg white.

Pauline :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » Helping » Other crafts » Plastic and Clay