Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Coming Events:              

Board index » Helping » Other crafts » Plastic and Clay

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Friendly Plastic
 Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:07 am 
The Boss

I have found a load of this I used a while back and feel I should use it. Does anyone have any great ideas for cards?

Can it be cut when hot with a metal cutter? Or do you just get into a sticky mess?

Crafts by Carolyn - for loads of projects, tips and freebies
My Blog & Pinterest
Facebook & My Gallery

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:36 am 

Heres a quick little instruction page for using friendly plastic on cards.

http://www.cardinspirations.co.uk/tech/fplastic.htm

I saw some jewellery made from friendly plastic recently and it was gorgeous, very bright and colourfull.

Calv.

Rotty's blog: Tails From The Sewer

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:45 am 

Maddy says you can get in a sticky mess if it's too hot, but as she says, she is'nt exactly an expert in it.

That said though, i remember Sara (Silky Chicken) used to use this a lot and often gave great advice about friendly plastic, she might be able to offer better advice.

Calv.

Rotty's blog: Tails From The Sewer

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:32 am 

I bought a kit of this at the NEC in March after watching a demonstration. I'd tried it once before but got into a mess so went off the idea.

However after watching this woman I decided to have another go and have actually been quite impressed with some of the results. I've made several cards and will get OH to photograph them tonight and will then post the pictures on here. I was pleased with the results but I'm easily impressed so you may think they're awful!! :oops:

The trick seemed to be in cutting small strips from the different colours and making geometric style shapes with them or laying them across each other. Then you heat them with a heatgun and using something like an embossing tool you 'draw' across the plastic once it's soft, making swirls and shapes in simple movements and pulling put the plastic at the edges which leaves this sort of 'tail' effect. The kit came with a metal comb as well ( looks like a small pet fur comb) and you can use that on the plastic.

I liked the idea of adding small diamantes or fibres into the plastic when it was soft and if you use plastic coated fine wire and make pretty shapes with that you can also press it into the plastic.

I also found using the FP on a metal baking tray with a piece of Teflon paper fixed by sellotape to the bottom made a big difference.

I had quite a play and felt much more confident the second time around. Hope all that makes some sort of sense.....I'll get OH onto photo duty later and will risk showing my efforts here...( as long as you promise not to laugh!)

Puss

Support Your Forum, Shop at Carolyn's
http://www.CraftsbyCarolyn.co.uk

What do you mean - where am I going to put it?!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:53 pm 

Take a small embossing tool, and dip it in cold water, and make holes in the heated FP - you can get a lovely lacy pattern. You can also make lovely tiles - I make letter tiles by cutting the fp into small squares, warming it, then inking an alphabet stamp with Stazon, and pushing it into the warm FP. Leave the stamp there until the FP has cooled.

Sara

Hop on over to My Blog

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:42 pm 
The Boss

OOh thanks ladies - Yes Puss would love to see. Sara has a some ideas that are already on the web site under projects, which is well worth a look. Just wanted to try some different things.

Never though of adding a diamonte 8)

My Blog & Pinterest
Facebook & My Gallery

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:58 am 

You can Ooooze it through fibres or material as well, great effect. You'll need some cutters and something like angelina fibres (already ironed) or angel's hair, put the FP in hot water (simmering) on a piece of foil, give it 30 seconds or thereabouts and pull it out of the water, do the bend test by folding the foil and seeing if it'll go over your finger (FP side up or you'll burn yourself), this is just to test if it's hot enough! Lay your piece of angelina fibre over the FP, put the cutter on the top and press down hard, then lift up the foil & all and using your fingers, push from underneath the foil and the FP will oooze through your angelina fibres. It'll look fantastic :D

Dip the whole lot in cold water and leave for a minute or so and then you'll be able to pull the cutter out easily and trip up your embellishment. If you still have problems with the FP sticking to the cutter, then dip the cutter edges in veg oil.

The only reason FP sticks to stamps and cutters and other things is that it's not cold enough, so if in doubt, leave in cold water or outside if it's cold enough! :wink:

Sara

http://www.silkychicksblog.blogspot.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:39 am 
The Boss

OOh that sounds diiferent - I will have to make a note of these and have a play.

Thank you

My Blog & Pinterest
Facebook & My Gallery

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:14 pm 

I've finally got OH to take the photos of my attempts with FP.

Please be gentle as I'm a novice :oops: and I know some of them are a bit 'cor blimey' ....... and I was just having a play! :D

The one below was made using a vintage picture from a 1915 magazine. The dangly beads are acually much more sparkly but it doesn't show on the picture.

PussX

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:35 pm 

Puss,

These are just FAB! I LOVE the one with the pink flower.

CQ

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:57 pm 
The Boss

blimey - you have been busy! They are great - ooh I think we all need to get playing again.

My Blog & Pinterest
Facebook & My Gallery

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:50 pm 

Puss these are BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

I need to see more of your work!

My Blog!

work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, sing like nobody's listening, dance like nobody's watching :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:00 pm 

Oh wow, they are great.
I have a few strip hide away somewhere, might have to have another play, as I got fed up first time round.
Thanks for the photos.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:16 pm 

WOW!!!! those are super Puss, they would make lovely jewelry, thinking brooch or earrings :great: :clapclap:

I have some somewhere but only in white, did you use coloured FP or was it in coloured in with something and if so can I ask what your used to get those lovely vibrant colours :??: :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:34 pm 

Ooh - I'm sooo happy :oops: that some of you didn't think they were absolutely 'naff' cos I really am a 'newbie' at this FP stuff!!

I did them from the kit that I bought from the NEC and I must admit there was a big range of colours. I added the 'bit's' - fibres, diamante flowers, vintage pictures etc but the rest were the actual coloured strips of FP. I particularly enjoyed using the multi coloured strips ( sort of 'oil on water' effect etc)

After my initial failure with FP some time ago I must admit I enjoyed this particular 'play'. I also used a really large and thick sewing needle which gave some nice effects and I will be having another go soon. :D

Many thanks for your positive comments

PussXXXX

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Helping » Other crafts » Plastic and Clay