Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Coming Events:              

Board index » Helping » Other crafts » Plastic and Clay

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:57 pm 

Checking out ebay for more varnish I came across Polyvine varnish which looks like its suitable for Fimo (along with lots of other materials).

I've always used Eberhard Faber varnish and have no complaints at all, apart from its a little pricey.

I'm wondering if anyone here has used the Polyvine varnish on Fimo, is it as good as Eberhard Faber? It certainly looks cheaper but I don't want to compromise on quality.

Thanks .

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:03 pm 

sorry Nic , ive never used it - ive only used Eberhard Faber myself. Most varnishes arnt suitable - they can stay goey on it - as is the same if you use clear nail varnish.

maddy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:18 pm 

Hi Nic I often use a product called Klear. It's made by SC Johnson and you can find it in most supermarkets etc in the cleaning isle. It is known in the US as Johnsons Future, and quite alot of people over there use it. There is a site called Glass Attic which is full of all sorts of info on polymer clay - there is a whole section dedicated to varnishes and finishes - http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/finishes.htm might be worth having a look through so you can see what can be used and what can't.

As Maddy says there are alot of varnishes, including nail varinish, (but apparently acrylic nail varnish is fine) that will turn your creations to a gooey mush, maybe even as long as 6 months after you have varnished them!

Kathie

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:50 pm 

Is that the stuff that you use to coat floors and seal them Kathie?

http://caique-momma.blogspot.com/
http://totallygorjuss.blogspot.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:57 pm 

ive heard of using Klear but never tried it myself .
Its a bit of trial and error with vanishes , especially if you anything waterbased/solvent on your creations as well .

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:16 pm 

Net wrote:

Yep that's the stuff, also apparently used by the lads in the army to put a shine on their boots as well, or so it used to be according to Mick.

Even though loads of people in the US use it I must admit I was abit wary about using it at 1st, especially on things like my pens as people often put them in their mouths. But I rang the manufacturers up, explained what I was doing and they assured me it was perfectly safe, I even had a good suck on one of my pens myself just to be sure :D

I don't think I would be brave enough though to try a varnish out that hadn't been tested by quite a few other people 1st. Would be awful to find something that had turned to a gooey mush.

Kathie

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:26 pm 

kathie1101 wrote:
Net wrote:

Yep that's the stuff, also apparently used by the lads in the army to put a shine on their boots as well, or so it used to be according to Mick.

Kathie

Ooh that brings back memories :o I remember trying Klear on my boots when i was 16.....then got bounced all the way to jail when it started raining and my boots turned a nice shade of purpley blue on parade!!! :roll: It happened to my mate too, and he got an extra day in jail because he was told to have magazines in his ammunition pouches for the inspection (obviously rifle magazines with bullets in).....and he had two copies of Farming Monthly lol!! :roflmao:

Great stuff on boots, just don't get it wet. :-?

Getting back on topic.....just go carefull what you put solvent based varnish on. I used the Fimo gloss varnish on some chalking tools i had painted with acrylic paint, and it was so potent it smudged the acrylic paint. :-?

Calv.

Rotty's blog: Tails From The Sewer

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:22 pm 

I'm very wary of trying anything new on my models because once they are posted off I don't get to know how well it would hold up so I stick to my trusted Eberhard Gloss varnish.

Mind you I've been rather put out since they recalled the old type of varnish back (red tops) and only offer blue caps now as I am not that happy with it.

Although it does dry very quick and leaves no nasty trail marks I still preferred the old one to this one!

I am hoping they will soon live up to their promise and find a good replacement soon!!

Pauline :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:53 pm 

wedding treasures wrote:

Mind you I've been rather put out since they recalled the old type of varnish back (red tops) and only offer blue caps now as I am not that happy with it.

When did they do that Pauline? I know they switched the lid colours a while back, from black to red for the gloss......do they not do red now then?

Calv.

Rotty's blog: Tails From The Sewer

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:20 pm 

I've not been able to get any of the red capped ones since April as Staedtler discontinued the gloss varnish due to an illegal/banned/not quite sure what substance in it. The only altenative they offer at the moment is the water based gloss.

Works okay I guess but not 100% happy with it.

If you know of anywhere that is still selling the red capped ones would be great if you will point me in that direction please!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:05 pm 

Calv wrote:

Ooh that brings back memories :o I remember trying Klear on my boots when i was 16.....then got bounced all the way to jail when it started raining and my boots turned a nice shade of purpley blue on parade!!! :roll: It happened to my mate too, and he got an extra day in jail because he was told to have magazines in his ammunition pouches for the inspection (obviously rifle magazines with bullets in).....and he had two copies of Farming Monthly lol!! :roflmao:

Great stuff on boots, just don't get it wet. :-?

Getting back on topic.....just go carefull what you put solvent based varnish on. I used the Fimo gloss varnish on some chalking tools i had painted with acrylic paint, and it was so potent it smudged the acrylic paint. :-?

Calv.

Ooh I forgot the bit about it turning the boots a lovely colour in the rain - Mick did tell me that bit, but I had forgotten all about that! Had to laugh at the bit about your mate though, that really made me laugh, bless him!

Anyway, back on topic, yep the original gloss that was solvent based was discontinued due to I believe it was some EU directive saying it couldn't contain certain things. Just like a lot of the clay formulas have had to be changed (many not for the better) because of EU directives banning certain materials that are in the clays!

Kathie

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:53 pm 

Thank you very much for the replies, I think just to be on the safe side I'll carry on using the Eberhard Faber varnish as I also sell what I make so can't take any risks, it'd be awful if they turned sticky after a while.

Thanks Kathie for the glass attic link, I used to read that a fair bit but completely forgot about it, thanks for reminding me.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Board index » Helping » Other crafts » Plastic and Clay